Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made an alteration to my door puddle lights - may be of interest - very easy to do. The light fitting un-clips from the door so no need to take the door card off but the connector cable isn't very long and awkward to get hold of again as falls into the door! When I did the passenger door I tied a bit if wire to the cable and pulled it back out to connect back up again.
Looks good at night and give loads more light.

Vandy.

OPEN PDF FILE BELOW FOR MORE PICS & DETAILS

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, I like the led replacemnt bulb too. I put some white LED bulbs in my sidelights at the front. When the MOT guys got the car they removed them as the Police dont like you having blue lights at the front of your car. OK I said, the manufacturers lenses are blue and they passed type approval for the UK. Yes they said but the fact is with standard bulbs in they don't look blue. HO HUM>. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know - LED sidelights are not legal - only is used as daytime running lights and these must be different from the sidelights. If you look at the Audis/Mercs that have the string of fairy lights along their headlights, they dim when the indicator comes on as well. As for our blue sidelight lenses - can't see the point as they don't appear to make a normal bulb look white so why have them?
I compromised and put the LED bulbs in the door lights!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Thanks Vandy,
I will certainly give this a try, as I often drop something whilst getting out, on the dark side of our drive, and end up fishing out the torch. The red lens tape will help other motorists on the off side - which I take it is why you did the "return end" in red.
Can I just check please, as this looks like an alloy base, why did you have to shave off the edges of the fitting? Also was there a specific led bulb used?
Best wishes,
John

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The red tape on the ends is handed for driver/passenger sides - obviously red end rear facing. These bulbs are BRIGHT! The casing is only plastic so shaves off easily. Maybe not needed but I just wanted to get as much light spread as possible - don't know if it really helps but made me feel better that I'd tried!

The LED's I used were from Autobulbs direct - there are some pretty cheap versions on ebay but I've heard these blow quite quickly - don't know bnut it's what I've heard?

Intrigued to know how you are posting my original posts (this one and the sun shade strip) as it's not me that's re-posting them. Didn't know you could do that :-?

If you need any more info then let me know :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sorry for the confusion Vandy, being a new member of the forum I have simply looked on the "How To's" message index for items that were of interest to me. I honestly did not see the date until your latest post... I will have to check this in the future... :whistle:
I will see how I manage this door puddle light alteration. Best wishes, John

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I like this mod. I assume It does not get hot at all being LED. Does the front clear plastic just clip off?

On caravaning holidays I normally switch off all the interior lights to save the battery as we do not have a hook up, but these lights can not be turned off, and LEDs take so much less power. Iuse them a lot on my caravan.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Chris. Lens just un clips - small screwdriver slips it of. No heat at all - well, hardly any. Consumption is minimal so you can lave doors open with no worries. The main difference is they are extreelmy bright so illuminate the whole road! I used red tape for 2 reasons - one obvious to let cars behind see but the main reason was they were so bright when I got out of the car the light shined up into my eyes and all I saw after that was black dots! The red tape shields the light from the top so you get a better view of the ground - being a dog walker, this is VERY important, not to put too finer point on things :lol:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
johnrimm said:
Sorry for the confusion Vandy, being a new member of the forum I have simply looked on the "How To's" message index for items that were of interest to me. I honestly did not see the date until your latest post... I will have to check this in the future... :whistle:
I will see how I manage this door puddle light alteration. Best wishes, John
No problem John - glad the posts are of use to people. As previously said; if you want any more info then just shout :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fitting these bulbs had no effect on the car at all. I know that people have changed their interior bulbs to LED so think it should be OK? Had these bulbs fitted in my side lights at one point but the daft blue lens made then look blueish. I thought the brightness of them would kill the blue but weirdly, a standard bulb works better. Shame as they gave out a great light and draw next to no power. need to ask a policeman if the light is too blue?

I thought puddle lights were standard fit on all X Trails - obviously not? Can't find out from the spec sheet which models had them fitted - hopefully someone will know?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
johnrimm said:
Thanks Vandy, I will l will let you know how I get on... :biggrin:
Best wishes, John
Quick tip John: I put on the tape then tried it with the light. The red tape looked a bit orange so applied another layer of tape on top. This made all the difference and the light is actual red, not orange. Put the tape on in a warm room as it's more pliable and bends around the curved corners. Hope this all makes sense?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Thanks Vandy,
I will let you know how i get on - cannot do this little job for a week or so. I am hoping to get get out for the tape and the sun strip today - when this rain stops!
No that sounds like I am a wimp - I should say when we go out later today....
Thanks for the tip will go straight to two layers of tape :thumbs:
Best wishes, John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.