Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I am looking to buy a double din headunit to replace my current single din CD player in my 04 SE. I was just double checking the dimensons and am a little puzzled.

The Double din units I am looking at all seem to measure 188mm width x 110mm height, the size of the opening in the silver dash trim only appears to be 180mm wide x 115mm height?

Help has anyone else found this or do different X Trail models have different dash trims? My SE currently has a single slot CD player with a small storage holder underneath.

Cheers any advice greatly appreciated

Regards
Simon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Simon

I have just replaced the radio in my T31 with a pioneer F900BT double din unit if it helps.

The opening in the dash is about 178 by 100 ish and the unit is exact same size as the standard Nissan one. The front of the pioneer has a slight step in it of about 3 to 4mm so there is a gap around the opening but it looks ok.

The outer cage on the pioneer is 182 by 112 but i did not need to use it as I used the Nissan brackets.

There are quite a few double din units around this size try also Kenwood range and the imports on Ebay.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve,

I have noticed that 6.5" screened units instead of 7" seem to be approx 178/179 x 100 which should fit fine. I think I will have a look at the unit you mention, I just assumed all double din units were the same in size but I am finding not.

Thanks for the advice
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya

I have seen a headunit I am intersted in and the internal dimensions behind the dash are 178mm width x 100mm height. The front section protrudes further. Please see image below, would this cause me issues. I guess I would have to have it protruding out the front of the dash trim by 23mm to allow for the extra which may look a bit naff, any advice appreciated please?

Regards
Simon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Simon
That is the problem with most 7" units unless you go for the more expensive Kenwood units with motorised screens.
I had a similar one in my previous Kia Sorrento and it did look a little naff.
I was going to buy a 6" import from China from a UK dealer on Ebay but bought a used 4 month old pioneer local at a very good price and was able to see it before I bought.
You will need a Nissan to din converter for the wiring and possibly the aerial but these are available easy on Ebay.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Steve

cheers I have now found a 7" unit that is 178mm wide x 100 high and 183mm deep (160) is the internal unit depth and the extra 23mm is the front panel will I be okay with these dimensions do you think without it sticking out. What depth and dimensions is the pioneer? Do you know what sort of depth the x trail dash allows for space etc?

I will buy an iso convertor cheers and do I need a double din fitting kit or will everything I need be the double din cage and existing brackets off my single din unit?

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya,

Please can I just double check before I go out and spend money on a new radio that it is actually possible to convert from a single din to a double din unit in my 04 X Trail SE? I have been told that if I remove the existing Nissan single din CD Player and the small storage unit with the pull down door which sits below it I can buy a Double Din x trail conversion kit to allow a double din head unit to be fitted. The opening in the dash trim where the current CD and storage unit sits is 178mm wide by approx 115mm heigh.

I know people convert the Nissan double size systems to standard aftermarket double din with a convertor so just want to be sure I can go from single to double din?

Also frame/mount wise inside the dash will I be able to find something to attach a double din cage to or will it be obvious what to do?

Thanks, please advise
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link. The X Trail pictured in the install steps has the double din Nissan type unit where as mine has the simple single din standard type stereo and the little storage box underneath it. Please see below for a photo of my dash.

I am sure it must be posssible to buy some bracket type convertor to replace my single din CD and the storage box directly under it with a nice double din unit instead. The dash trims are otherwise identical on my xtrail and the one in the fitting guide and I am sure behind the scenes they must be basically the same and only governed by tri'm level (SE, SVE etc) to determine what unit is fitted
If you could see your mate please that would be really appreciated.

Many thanks for your help

If anyone else has any advice please let me know

Regards
Simon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Steve no I will take the dash trim cover off tonight and post a few images on here. I don't really know what I am looking to find so any advice would be appreciated on what brackets I would need etc

Thanks
Simon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.