Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice sunday drive up the trossachs, not, on the way home smell of burning and then a light Dpf, got everyone out the car untill I had a read at the manual..drove the car hard for 20 mins ...still the light on
The car is new to me only had it 4 weeks its going back to the dealer tomorrow..just my luck!
will they repair under warranty or am I going to have the usual fight.
Our first ever dealership purchase is it going to be a happy one?? I doubt it.
If other people got any good results please let me know
1 question = is the car safe to drive?

·
Registered
36 Posts
highlandjock said:
Nice sunday drive up the trossachs, not, on the way home smell of burning and then a light Dpf, got everyone out the car untill I had a read at the manual..drove the car hard for 20 mins ...still the light on
The car is new to me only had it 4 weeks its going back to the dealer tomorrow..just my luck!
will they repair under warranty or am I going to have the usual fight.
Our first ever dealership purchase is it going to be a happy one?? I doubt it.
If other people got any good results please let me know
1 question = is the car safe to drive?
Hi, yes it is safe to drive. you have to drive up a dual carriage way or a motorway to get the engine hot and then the light will go out. The dpf light is a pain in the .... and guess what it is not on the new modle that is comming out. My dealer dosent want to know they say it was not ment for slow driving lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yip did that motorway 70mph 30 mins no difference..so they are saying its not ment for slow driving hm hm
I take it sticking to the speed limit is not an option for this car and off road is out of the question (cant drive fast off road),also if you live in glasgow ,edinburgh, london all town work !!. this car is not designed for those conditions!! then what the ---- use is this car.!!!!! I know F1 or route 66.
As far as the dealer not being interested I will set my wife on them

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the garage today and as I turned into the garage the light went off..my luck, anyway told them what the problem was and they took it away and an hour later fixed, they re-generated the Dpf filter and said if it gave me any more problems just to take it back...couldnt ask for anymore. faith restored happy ending or is it!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Driving at 70mph should be ok if the revs are high enought. Doing more that 2500rpm is what is required. Recently my dpf light came on and 10 miles at 2500 - 3000 revs put it out.
The car has done 24k miles, I bought it at 9500 miles and it came on at 12k miles, then recently at 24k miles.

The think there is an AA article on driving at 70 mph in a high gear not getting the exhaust hot enough. This being not only for xtrails.

I now try to keep the revs around 2500 rpm what ever I'm doing and the mpg does not seem to have suffered.

Lots of threads on this, try Googling DPF problems and you will see that it is not only Nissan that have this problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard their was an additive that can be used along with your fuel,, true or false I dont know
Chris I noticed you are a caravan tower, im looking to put a towbar on the xtrail to pull the caravan but all I have seen require cutting the bumper.
Has yours been cut !! if not what make of towbar are you using
thanx Gavin

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It's said that driving any car for prolonged period of time at a constant speed (eg motorway at 70mph) is not good for the exhaust. My garage told me to vary the speed on long journeys (preferably downwards from 70mph, but I don't think I can of heard that bit!) as the exhaust needs to get hot enough to burn off the crud and at constant speed in a high gear it isn't getting hot enough. Don't know how much truth there is in this but it makes sense I guess?
I always give mine a good blast out anyway using kickdown just to clear it's throat so to speak, and it's always a good idea to do this prior to an MOT as giving it some welly clears it out for the emissions test.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I now think giving it a good clear out is bad, what you are doing is creating more soot to be caught in the dpf. After pootling around in my previous car a non dpf mazda 6, a hard blast on the open road would blow out lots of soot which is what the dpf catches and gets bunged up with.
What I have never found out is under what circumstances does the dpf get cleaned out, I now thibk it is only when the dpf light is on and not at other times.
We need a Nissan engine / software engineer to give us the definitive answer. I don't think garages know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In addition to lots of posts on this Forum which Umbungo linked to, & also provided an extract from a Nissan technical manual viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2177 (bottom of page)

there is a good summary of DPF behaviour & driving recommendations here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel- ... te-filters

A couple of points to highlight:

• the main factor is exhaust temperature[/*]
  • which means periods of consistent high[ish] speeds for the "passive" cycle[/*]
  • but also shorter periods of high revs to aid regeneration in the "active" cycle[/*]

But not all cars have both types ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to try and drive economically in a high gear and the damn thing came on all the time.
The inevitable happened the engine management light came on and the dpf needed replacing and the oil changed. The dealer said they would replace it once for free after that I have to pay for it and it is not cheap (£1000). The advice they gave me was that if the light comes on drop it to 2nd or 3rd and drive at very high revs for 10 mins or so (doesn't need to be on a motorway going fast). Also if you try and drive it hard constantly the light may never come on.
So now I hardly ever use 6th gear, but the warning light hasn't come back on. Mpg is a bit less though!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ron said:
In addition to lots of posts on this Forum which Umbungo linked to, & also provided an extract from a Nissan technical manual viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2177 (bottom of page)

there is a good summary of DPF behaviour & driving recommendations here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel- ... te-filters

A couple of points to highlight:

• the main factor is exhaust temperature[/*]
  • which means periods of consistent high[ish] speeds for the "passive" cycle[/*]
  • but also shorter periods of high revs to aid regeneration in the "active" cycle[/*]

But not all cars have both types ?
I supect from reading the that ours is the active version, and also may be I've read somewhere ? that later T31s have an extra injector in the exhaust. Which suggest that regeration only takes place when the light is on.

I was surprised at the £1000 quoted by someone, I'd read someone else being charged £250. As I undertand it they put it on a computer and to a regen run the change the oil and filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.