Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought mine at 9500 miles
First warning at 12100
Second and last at 12600 Both these on holiday within a week of very slow driving
Now done 15000 and waiting for the light?

What is normal if there is such a thing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
18,000+ miles and not had it come up at all.

Perhaps mine is broken?

But I don't poodle around town very often.

Xacre

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gg8tcw said:
DPF light? what's that then???
Diesel Particulate filter, as fitted to the T31 diesel and I understand every diesel sold after Sept 2009. It fiters out the soot in the exhaust but fills up and has to be cleaned out by a blast at 50+ mph for about 19 miles, or else it goes into limp home mode and a dealer bill of around £100 to 250!
Other makes have saner solutions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
never
but to be fair i have had the tuner box fitted to both my t31s and IMO it stops it or at the very least helps stop it
i do 80mph for around 5 miles and then its 10 miles of driving like miss daisy twice a day
i have taken mine off and am awaiting my mate to super chip it as this also helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd have a word with your local Nissan Dealership

Fairly certain theres a reprogramme for this that changes the flag points, meaning it won't think it needs regenerating as often. If the dealer has to do forced regen, have to change oil and filter after as it overfuels the engine to heat up the dpf, and some escapes into the oil system!

Egg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took delivery of mine in May 2008 and within just over 100 miles during the first main journey I had problems while crawling round the the round-abouts at Milton Keynes it came on as did the engine maintenance warning light. I had to crawl back the 100 miles wher eit was reset by the garage. They wanted to charge but eventually climbed down. It happened again about 1000 miles later in France. The standard procedure is to drive a fast as you can for about 20 minutes and it should clear.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the feedbacks are anything to go on perhaps it is not that common. Mine has not come on again since the double event last July when i was doing a lot of slow driving on Mull. Since then I have tried to avoid short journies by using my wifes car arround town and when using the xtrail I try to keep the revs up for at least part of my journey and try to avoid using low revs where possible (i.e. under about 1500). My local friendly tyre / MOT station recommends reving to peak revs once a week or so like they do for the MOT, but I'm not sure. What buggs me slightly is that next month we are of to mull again for 3 weeks!
DPFs seem an odd way to save the planet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 173 bhp X Trail purchased in February 2009. Done 22,000 miles.
To date the DPF filter light has come on 4 times and every time, despite immediately driving hard for at least 30 minutes, it fails to extinguish. Sometimes this is quickly followed by the illumination of the engine management lamp and entry into 'limp home' mode.

My Nissan garage re-mapped the electronics to allegedlly correct the fault. This has proved ineffective.

I rarely do a journey less than 12 miles, inveriably on a trunk road where I am driving at 50/60 mph. Other frequent journeys of 150 mls plus are taken, either towing caravan or solo and are driven 'enthusiastically'. I do not do a 2 minute drive for the morning paper, never dawdle and rarely travel in congested areas and so may reasonably be assumed to a driver who makes the engine work.

Complaints to both the dealer and Nissan promote the same response - 'there is nothing wrong with the car; it must be down to the way it is driven'.

This is clearly utter rubbish from both the dealership and Nissan and I feel they are refusing to face up to their responsibilities to their clients.

If when checked at the dealership they say there is nothing wrong with the vehicle I assume this means their diagnostic readouts fall within certain Nissan specified paramaters. This does not mean that these parameters are correct.

It is my contention that as the dealerships are not the designers of the engines or their control systems they are not qualified to state that no fault exists. It is for Nissan to revisit their design and resolve what is clearly a problem of their making.

I feel so strongly about the brush-off I have been given that I would like to form an action group of owners with the same problem in an endeavour to force a satisfactory solution.

All support will be gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Revhead Kev said:
Over here in Aus some of us have found that using premium diesel fuel will help with both extending the times between required regens and the severity of clogging.
Mine has never come on - I always use Shell diesel - the comments here seem to say that Shell and BP are best and Shell Extra (if you can get it, I have only ever seen it at one station) is the very best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been speaking to a senior manager at Nissan UK this morning and he states there is no requirement to use any specific brand of diesel. Supermarket brands are fine. He also stated that a dealership should never place the blame for constant recurrence of DPF illumination on the driver as that is implying guilt which they have no first hand knowledge of.

I will keep you posted of developments as my discussions with Nissan continue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My DPF light kept coming on every few weeks until my service. I mentioned it to them and the response was "oh yes, we have some software for that problem." It's not come on since. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, my car was in the Nissan garage last week for a quick health check before the warranty expires. The following day the DPF light came on and I thought nothing of it as has happened once before and it went off after a good drive.

Didn't use the car 'till yesterday and coming home today the Engine Management Light has come on. Phoned Nissan and it's back in on Wednesday with a possible £55+VAT diagnostic charge (car still under warranty until 24th Sept).

Normally with the DPF you take it for an extended drive 60kph high revs etc.

With the MI, IM (?) light on can I still do the above and if so could it clear both lights without having to take it into Nissan which tbh is a pain in the ****.

Thanks,
Jon
(25mins commute generally 50-60mph)

·
Registered
3 Posts
For 18 months since purchasing my X-Trail new in January 2009 I have been plagued by DPF light on problems. I do not drive like a granny, nor do I normally drive less than 15 miles at any one go. The car had done about 25,000 miles at last visit to dealership. Everytime I went to the dealer they regenerated the DPF, changed the oil and filters, all free of charge. They admitted that both they and Nissan were aware of a problem with a small number of vehicles which displayed the same symptons as mine and which their September 2009 engine remapping did not fix.
My patience finally failed when, after visiting the dealership once again they declared that the problem was down to my method of driving. I decided that enough was enough and contacted Nissan at Rickmansworth, fix it or take it back!

After being very insistent I ended up having discussions with a Mr Stephen Stunt, Team Leader, Nissan Customer Services (TEL: 01923 899 999). He took over the management of the case and listened to what I said. (Normal service team will fob you off!)

I told him of the number of times the DPF lamp came on and nothing I did would remove it
I told him of the strange panting noise the engine made when under load at about 1700 rpm
I told him of burst pressure pipes associated with the intercooler
I told him of the comment made by a different Nissan dealership who said thet in their experience when pressure pipes burst the DPF was damaged beyond repair.

Nissan liaised with my original dealership and replaced the complete DPF filter unit, exhaust temperature and DPF sensors and pressure pipes, all under warranty, free of charge. They also threw in a free service including brake pads.

Stephen Stunt advised me that as long as I owned the vehicle I would never have to foot the bill for any problems associated with my DPF problems.

Please do not be fobbed-off by dealerships or inexperienced Nissan staff - insist on speaking to a decision maker. There very clearly is a problem with the engineering and Nissan must be forced to resolve it for all owners without owners being faced by costs.

Anyone who wishes to receive copies of all my correspondence in this matter is more than welcome to it if it helps them get justice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
John Willett said:
Revhead Kev said:
Over here in Aus some of us have found that using premium diesel fuel will help with both extending the times between required regens and the severity of clogging.
Mine has never come on - I always use Shell diesel - the comments here seem to say that Shell and BP are best and Shell Extra (if you can get it, I have only ever seen it at one station) is the very best.
I'm not too sure what fuel is best I dont think it matters as all have lowest sulphur and particulates possible and supposed 50+ cetane ratings (In NZ).

What is premium diesel in AUS or the UK? We have BP Ultimate Diesel, Chevron/Caltext with Techron D these two that I'd regard as premium. Regarding Shell ordinary diesel, it's quoted according to Shell/Z NZ, a typical 52 cetane rating - Should I consider anything with min 51, 52 to be 'Premium' and use that?

How does V-Power diesel (which we dont have in NZ) compare to ordinary Shell or other diesel? Is the cetane rating here a factor to consider for DPF niggles?

Thanks,

T

·
Registered
155 Posts
Iv had my 2008 X trail aventura 173 bhp now for 7 months,It had 14,740 miles on the clock when purchased.Iv have now done 22,000 miles and have towed my caravan all over Scotland.I have had 4 warning lights in that period roughly 2000 miles apart.
I have followed the instructions in the hand book and driven the car for around 10 minutes at 2500 rpm and then turned the engine off and on restarting the light has allway been off.
No problems at all, and am delighted with my X trail.
I also see no reason why supermarket fuel can effect the Dpf and believ this to be a myth.
However there can be more water which will be picked up at the fuel filter which in turn can be drained of by utilising the fuel filter drain plug.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hglennie said:
Iv got a 2006 dci se model and mines has never appeared infact i wouldnt even know where the light is on the dash....
I think DPFs came in late 2007

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with Revhead Kev.

I have a 2008 T31, bought 5 months ago, and 2 months ago switched to a local filling station - wham! ... two DPF warnings in a row (both cleared by a 20 minute burn up the nearest motorway).

Immediately switched to a different filling station (Topaz - advertising 'cleaner' diesel) and what do you know, no more DPF issues since.

The fuel is 2cent a litre more expensive, but I'd say worth it to prevent further DPF issues and potential bills.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts