Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Umbongo & Steve P for details of Fuel Filter removal,V. useful because this seems to be a particular problem with XYs or maybe it's a sign of poorer quality diesel nowadays,I now try to use BP Ultra or Shell Expensive(sorry don't know what it's called,just that it's expensive,like Ultra) :sad:
Now time to own up!! First time I tried to drain water from the filter,unscrewed the drain cock and operated the priming pump but nothing came out,so unscrewed a bit further and you guessed it--too far --and I dropped it.Looked on the ground and it wasn't there,thought --no problem--get my magnetised wand and fish around---no luck,because of course it's all plastic!!
So crawl under the XY and feel around---started to panick after about 5 mins,but then found it lodged on top of the
rack. :oops:
In case of future clumsyness I drilled a small hole near the end of the clear drain pipe and threaded a bit of fishing twine through it,leading the looped other end up to a suitable securing point.
I blame my big hands,SWMBO says I just old and clumsy. :smile:

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
woodsie said:
Thanks to Umbongo & Steve P for details of Fuel Filter removal,V. useful because this seems to be a particular problem with XYs or maybe it's a sign of poorer quality diesel nowadays,I now try to use BP Ultra or Shell Expensive(sorry don't know what it's called,just that it's expensive,like Ultra) :sad:
Now time to own up!! First time I tried to drain water from the filter,unscrewed the drain cock and operated the priming pump but nothing came out,so unscrewed a bit further and you guessed it--too far --and I dropped it.Looked on the ground and it wasn't there,thought --no problem--get my magnetised wand and fish around---no luck,because of course it's all plastic!!
So crawl under the XY and feel around---started to panick after about 5 mins,but then found it lodged on top of the
rack. :oops:
In case of future clumsyness I drilled a small hole near the end of the clear drain pipe and threaded a bit of fishing twine through it,leading the looped other end up to a suitable securing point.
I blame my big hands,SWMBO says I just old and clumsy. :smile:
I know what you mean about big hands when working in the engine compartment as there's not allot of room, I often come away with a few cuts.It's not easy with sausage fingers too :mrgreen: .Did you manage to sort your daughters front head light problem?......................your mod on the fuel drain sounds a good idea. :thumbs:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,thanks Umbongo,eventually with the test meter narrowed it down to the light switch.Took it off,only 2 screws and 1X 9 pin connector after removing the top s/w shroud(4 screws).Looked like hard plastic and didn't think it would split without damage,but took it inside and let it warm up,then managed to'open' it.Found lots of hard dirty grease so cleaned it out and sparsely applied some fresh vaseline to the bits that looked like they needed it,especially 2 sliding contacts which have small springs under them and which I think had gummed up and weren't making contact.Couldn't get it to work with the meter but put it back on the car and hey presto,all works fine now,headlamps on both dip/high and the rear fog light and their dashboard tell tails.Thanks again for your help,apologies for the delay in replying,have been away for a week delivering XJ8 demonstrators to dealers from York to Aberdeen in our 15 tonner and don't have access to the net away from home yet.Woodsie. :biggrin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.