Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you don't have a compressor and decent air impact wrench, you may need to refit the wheel, and crack the hub nut while the car is on the ground. It is torqued up to almost 300 Nm, so doing this with the car jacked will probably just spin the driveshaft. You need a deep 32mm socket for this.

If doing the left hand driveshaft, you probably need to drain the gearbox oil before you remove the driveshaft.

I am also not sure on the process for the outer joint rebuild, but I expect it to be held in with a circlip.

The joint cost me about €60, which was much cheaper than getting it done at the garage. They would have just replaced the driveshaft with a reconditioned part anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel compelled to echo the previous comments and say MANY MANY THANKS for a quite superb write up!!! :)
My RH inner cv joint boot is also spraying grease in a perfect circle around the large circlip ..and the parts are on order to get this fixed asap. I ordered the genuine Nissan cv boot kit ...Nissan C97DA-JA00K - SEAL AND GASKET KIT, from Amayama for $45 ..plus shipping. Yep..bit expensive but my options in Phils are limited ..and this will (should!) be a perfect fit around that inner tulip. It only includes the actual parts needed to replace the boot ...boot, 2 x circlips & grease ...not the spider & tulip. My joint seems to drive ok ...dont think much, if any, muck is getting in..just grease getting out!
I ordered a few other bits at the same time ... we'll see what they all look like when the order arrives ..should be this coming week.
I suspect the boot currently fitted to mine is a universal type, poorly fitted over the odd-shaped tulip.. cos I cannot see a split anywhere...yet its spraying its grease ...Im guessing the PO just thought they could do it up tight and it would be ok..!!
Anyway ...thank you again for detailing and photographing the EXACT job which I need to do in the coming weeks... Bravo to you Sir :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
ahh..******..came to this thread from a link and just realised its for a T30. My T31 RH front driveshaft is different .... it doesnt connect to the inner shaft with a nice 5 bolted flange like that T30 one. I dont actually know how it connects...the service manual shows a 'stopper ring' inside the tulip and talks about driveshaft pullers and slide hammers... jeez..oh well ..I shall have a search in the T31 area...

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
It looks to me like it plugs directly into the gearbox, so you probably have to drain the gearbox oil first, and then remove the entire shaft. I would be surprised if there was not some kind of bearing/carrier part way down the shaft though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
..doesnt go into the gearbox ..the inner shaft does that...the gearbox is another 18" away towards the LHS of the car.
Anyway my Amayama order just arrived..with my Nissan boot kit ..so..need to get on with that..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Agreed, the shaft with the Tulip on?
It looks like you have to remove the entire shaft, unless the tripod bearing will come out of the tulip. It is going to be fun keeping it clean during assembly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yep..the tulip is on the outer end of the inner shaft ..Im assuming I can remove the outer shaft seperatley ..be removing the tri-bearing from that tulip...
The kit has arrived from Amayama now ..that 'locking ring' looks like a large, easily removed circlip device..which..(I'm hoping!) ...is what keeps the tri-bearing & tulip together ..aside of the boot of course...so..I think that is the key to seperating the 2 shafts..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my son bought a 56plate xtrail and when he put it in for the mot it failed on all 4 wheels not being free running the inspector could not turn the wheel by hand my son took the brackcalipers of thinking it was the bracks but it was the same help needed many thanks ....................kevin

21 - 29 of 29 Posts