Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Could someone please tell me where this unit is, what it does and what to check/look out for. Ours is a 2005 2.2 diesel SVE model. Years ago we used to disconnect and re-route the crankcase breather pipes to stop the oil mist getting back into the ail filter. Is this something similar but on the exhaust side?
Also the spluttering problem during this cold weather, ours is doing this sometimes. Is it water in the fuel filter?? Do I need to change the filter?
Cheers
Colin

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hope this answers your question.............

The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust mixes with the intake air and actually cools the combustion process. Cooler is always better inside your engine. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions testing. Unfortunately, your EGR valve can get stuck, causing NOX gases to build up. You'll know if your EGR valve is stuck or malfunctioning because your car will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on accelertaion.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
colin said:
Hi All,
Could someone please tell me where this unit is
The location is left of fuel filter or looking from front centre line of vehicle at back of oil cooler.

location here
View attachment EGR LOCATION.pdf

Before you decide to dismantle the EGR try some EGR cleaner if it's just the valve sticking and leave it over night, remove the four Torx screws on the top cover but be careful not to loose them and do not be to rough when removing cover as there is a gasket on it.I would get yourself some Hylomar Blue (universal)gasket seal too before you do any removing and use as instructions say.

Hylomar
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/hylomar-universal ... 56372a9359

EGR Cleaner

http://www.wynns.net/product_files/Exha ... %20PIS.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok well I didnt go as far as removing the whole EGR valve as that involves new gaskets I think plus undoing a few bolts that were so tight I nearly rounded one off with a torque wrench! Need a proper hex socket rather than the spline ones. I will update this thread when I get the chance to fully remove it...

Engine off. EGR valve unplugged. Undo the 4 screw on the top of the valve (you'll where it's located in the next two pics):
Pic.1

Pic.2

When you lift off the top plastic motor that controls the valve this is what you'll see:
Pic.3

Then when you take off the metal block it's this:
Pic.4

Basically what I did was get a cloth and lots of clutch cleaner and sprayed it everywhere in the valve. Pushing the valve up and down via the circle of metal on a spring in the last pic there. Be careful when reassembling that the metal hooks (pic.3) fix correctly over the disc in pic.4.

Inlet Manifold Cleaning & underside of EGR valve

The way to get to the underside without removing the whole thing is to use Wynns Aerosol EGR cleaner. It cleans the inside of the intake manifold too which can get very caked up with soot and gunk from the exhaust getting pumped through.

Here's what it can look like without cleaning :eek: and I'd imagine the EGR valve can get equally caked up. To use the spray download the instructions on Wynns website. Aerosol cans go for about £6 and are well worth it. To see which pipe to remove to then spray in the EGR cleaner, see the images after the dirty pics.

On a VW:

Cleaning the Inlet manifold with EGR spray cleaner.

Please note this pictures relate to a DCi in an Almera but the principle is the same.

To use the spray download the instructions on Wynns website - http://www.wynns.be/index.php/en/x/30?cId=3&bId=233&pId=23379
Alternatively the instructions are attached to this post.

This is the rubber pipe you need to remove. Get the can down into the gap, with the nozzle at the top, and spray into the metal inlet manifold, following the directions as in the downloaded instructions.

WYNNS DIRECTIONS

Wynn´s Exhaust Gas Recirculation 3 is an aerosol product developed for cleaning the air intake system of all diesel engines.

Ref. Nr. 23379: 12 x 200ml

Properties

* Provides immediate thorough cleaning of air intake system, inlet valves, EGR valve and connecting tube between EGR valve and air intake manifold.
* Strong power jet spray to support cleaning action.
* Dissolves gum, lacquer, tar, carbon and deposits.
* Easy to use, cleaning takes only 5 to 10 minutes, with a minimum necessity to dismantle components.
* Restores perfect air flow towards the combustion chamber.
* Provides a regular and stable idle.
* Restores or maintains the engine performance and fuel consumption.
* Eliminates and avoids starting problems.
* Improves accelerating properties.
* Reduces black exhaust emissions.

Applications

* For the air intake manifold, inlet valves and EGR valve of all diesel engines.
* Also recommended to be used at each service interval to maintain cleanliness.
* Possibility to use an extension spray tube with multiple injection holes (option).
* Do not spray on painted surfaces. In such case, immediately clean with water to prevent damage.

Directions

* Cleaning of air intake manifold and inlet valves.
* Start the engine until its warm.
* Remove the flexible hose in the air intake system, situated between the turbocharger/intercooler and the air intake manifold.
* Let engine run at 2000 rpm.
* Spray the product, with short intervals, into the air intake manifold.
* Rpm and diesel knocking can rise during pulverization.
* After each pulverization, wait until original set rpm is regained.
* If necessary accelerate to avoid engine stalling.
* Continue until the 200 ml of product in the aerosol are consumed.
* Let the engine run at idle during a few minutes.
* After this idling period, accelerate the engine approximately 5 to 10 times or drive 5 to 10 km.
* Do not exceed 3000 rpm.
* Stop the engine.
* Put hose back in place.

Packaging Languages
EN/FR/DE/ES/IT/NL/RU/EL

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
just removed mine and both metal caskets on top as well and no gasket of any sort on bottom, help required as to where these go.will put it back as is but will redo if anyone can let me know exactly where about gaskets go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2002 Xtrail (Diesel T30).

Anyway, I am currently experiencing a loss of power. It started just in the lower RPM (below 2000), and then went away when the turbo kicked in. It's now apparent all through the rev range (this symptom just occurred today).

My mate noticed it when we were driving to the Netherlands last weekend. I'm was too used to the car (get to know what noises to ignore), so didn't even think about it.

Checked the obvious, air filter, oil level, etc and all looks fine. The engine isn't over heating. The only thing i can think thats worth changing is the fuel filter. When did a full service on the car about 4000 miles ago, I was going to change the fuel and air filter, but they look brand new (only got the car in December) as in spotless, so I do have a spare air filter and fuel filter I can try first.

From some research I think its the EGR valve. Has anyone experienced this before, and did cleaning it out fix it?
How long does it take to clean out the EGR valve, 30 mins or so? Is there a way to "force it shut" all the time to see if it is sticking open, or just completely bypass it before forking out for a new turbo.

The MPG is still good, getting the usual 40mpg, 400 miles to a tank out of it.

Finally, has anyone actually used that Wynn's Diesel EGR Valve Cleaner. Does it work??? I might be tempted to try it, after stripping down the EGR valve and giving it a through clean before other stuff.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
pubcrawler said:
I take mine apart every time I start suffering a loss in power and clean it with carb cleaner :biggrin:
Cures it every time :cool:
Have been told that it can just be blanked off using a fleebay purchsed plate but haven't it tried yet :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-bla ... 0933736982
A good old EGR clean can work wonders! :thumbs:

I'm not in total favour of EGR blanking for lots of reasons. Main one is, if the EGR was clogged up with coke and carbon deposits is also very likely to certain that the inlet manifold will be the same.

If you blank the EGR - you'll still have a clogged inlet manifold restricting airflow into the engine.

Kind regards,

Eoin

·
Registered
620 Posts
eoinsully said:
pubcrawler said:
I take mine apart every time I start suffering a loss in power and clean it with carb cleaner :biggrin:
Have been told that it can just be blanked off using a fleebay purchsed plate but haven't it tried yet :(

I'm not in total favour of EGR blanking for lots of reasons. Main one is, if the EGR was clogged up with coke and carbon deposits is also very likely to certain that the inlet manifold will be the same.

If you blank the EGR - you'll still have a clogged inlet manifold restricting airflow into the engine.

Kind regards,

Eoin
Hear what you're saying Eion :biggrin: , do you think that if the inlet manifold is removed and cleaned first would blanking the EGR then work :?:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
pubcrawler said:
eoinsully said:
pubcrawler said:

Kind regards,

Eoin
Hear what you're saying Eion :biggrin: , do you think that if the inlet manifold is removed and cleaned first would blanking the EGR then work :?:
I'd say you need to do 2 things if you want to blank the EGR:

1. Clean the inlet manifold
2. Drill a hole in the blanking plate as the ECU measures the exhaust gas, otherwise you'll get an EML light.

See Ahto42 post on this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5978

Kind regards,

Eoin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Seriously thinking of blanking my EGR valve. A couple of weeks ago I used a can of EGR cleaner but the exy still smokes badly when under heavy acceleration. If I blank it off and drill it, could it cause any problems. I've blanked the valve in previous cars and it's only improved things

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same prob here but tried to undo nuts that hold pipe to put in plate impossible to undo :bigcry: I can,t get the screws on the EGR cover off as someone has had a go and rounded them off :bigcry: have used a can of EGR cleaner but still smokes under heavy acceleration so on to last resort going to drill small hole in cap and flood it with EGR cleaner then seal hole with araldite hope this works

PS passed MOT on Weds no probs found just usual warnings about joints etc :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
worth checking for intercooler leaks.
Put an injector cleaner it to tank, when it is only a quarter left.
add 2stroke oil into fuel 200:1 ratio mix,
I used regular carb cleaner to clean the intake, no Wynns EGR cleaner here.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
pheelsteel said:
What do I look for with intercooler leak. There's no oil leaks around it but surely there's no oil in it any way?
Have a look at the pics here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7186&hilit=+oil+leak

The elbow joint at the bottom left of the intercooler, will have oil on it.

If you remove the cover on the intercooler, you'll see oil around the crimped joint.

If there is no oil anywhere around the intercooler, or rocker cover, you should be okay.

The oil, is due to blow by from the inlet manifold, through the PCV. A catch can here, is more effective than the catch can on the intercooler pipe.

A leak in the intercooler, will cause oil to be drawn in, due to the increased boost. Allowing the turbo to cool down correctly after long journeys, dissipates heat soak from the hot exhaust side to the air inlet side of the turbo, saving the oil seals and prolonging their life. Oil can be lost through the seals and also find it's way into the IC.

Allow the XT to idle for a minute before turning it off.

Kind regards,

Eoin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.