Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Xtrail and have just purchased a 2.2 dci on an 06 plate from a Nissan dealer and it seems to have the cold engine clatter!! Any advice please. Also It is fitted with Dunlop ST 20, size 215 / 60R17 96H Grandtrek tyres, is this correct?

Regards,
Steve.

·
Registered
186 Posts
tyres are correct what i would do is change the oil to full sync. that mite help but it is the norm for the engine to clatter when 1st start up .... .. dunlops are **** run them on 35psi all round they will wear across the full tread not just the outer edges this will happen if you put the correct psi in them and yes its ok in the wet.....hope this helps...regards..mark

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Stevefoster,

My x-trail is also noisey on cold start, it's been to the main dealer but they tell me its
no noisier than others... :whistle:
If you search for some of my older posts you will see there was an update for the ecu which seemed to improve it slightly.

I too have the Dunlops fitted and will be increasing the air pressure to 35psi to
even the wear across the tyre. (thanks for the tip silver25lpg).
I may try the Pirelli Scorpion tyres next when I'm due to change as I hear conflicting
reports on how good the Dunlops are in the wet/mud?? (also there cheaper)

Regards
akastiggy

·
Registered
198 Posts
All Diesel's clatter when cold, just some are better at hiding it, I would not worry about it on the X-Trail.

Never had a problem with the Dunlops either, have stuck with them as they were the original fit and local garage holds them in stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have my X Trail a week and mine clatters too when it is cold. I think it's normal and nothing to worry about. I don't know what oil is in it as I only have it a week, but I will be using 5w30 oil for the next change. This may reduce the clatter time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi all
I have a new clatter !!! its at about 1500 revs and always on the way down to them...it almost sounds like a shield or plate wobble/shake. Had a look and can't see anything under the bonnet. Any ideas? its about 72k on a 56 plate 2.2dci
Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Robbo said:
Hi all
I have a new clatter !!! its at about 1500 revs and always on the way down to them...it almost sounds like a shield or plate wobble/shake. Had a look and can't see anything under the bonnet. Any ideas? its about 72k on a 56 plate 2.2dci
Rob
I had this clatter up until my last service, thought it might have been the tensioner as it had a distingtive metalic tone to it, dealer resolved it by replacing the fan / alternator belts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Robbo said:
Hi. How do i check the tensioner?
Rob
Does the noise sound like a harsh, someone hitting a hammer to metal type noise, which then pitters out once warming up?
If so possible injector!
Haven't had that many chains go wrong on these, mainly the vac pump chain on n/s of head, need cam cover off to check!

Egg

·
Registered
10 Posts
My X-T rattles when cold. 07 - 28k. Mentioned it at last service at Harratts Wakefield - services guy said it's normal. To be fair I bought it new and it did sound noisier cold than the Primera 2.2 cDI that I traded in. I put it down to more sound proofing on the Primera.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mine has only done 12500 miles so far & only first thing in the morning do I know it's a diesel. Other than that it's as quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep my altenator belt was tightnend and clatter went away, but will need new belt soon I suppose, and yes got a clatter although small and occasional from vac chain - how much would that cost ???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Robbo said:
Yep my altenator belt was tightnend and clatter went away, but will need new belt soon I suppose, and yes got a clatter although small and occasional from vac chain - how much would that cost ???
Last time I did at vac chain it cost the bloke £300 all in with an oil and filter change!
That was at home by the way, not at work! :whistle:
Egg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Robbo said:
hmmm might be worth remembering since you are just down the road! :biggrin:
That price included new vac chain, guide, cam sprocket (that had locating pin damage!), oil, filter and the gaskets to do it all and my beer money obviously :lol: !

Feel free to give me a PM if you need anything!

Egg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts