Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone on here will have a solution to the problem I am having with my 2006 X-Trail.

When I start the car and the engine is cold, it will start rev up and then go to idle and die. The strange thing is that I have noticed that after it dies the rev counter still shows revs for a few seconds before dropping to zero.

At the start of this problem if I started the car again it would idle fine but now when I try to restart it is hard to start and needs a rev to get it going. I now have to hold a rev on the car to keep it from dying until the engine warms up.

I have had a fault reader on the system and no faults are showing. I can also read the real-time data and originally I noticed that the EGR valve would sit at 18 steps and then go to 2 steps under a rev, this was with the engine warmed up. When the fault started to get worse it would read that the EGR valve was sitting at 2 steps all the time.

I therefore sprayed in EGR cleaner into the system but this still does not seem to have help the cold ilding fault. I have not hooked the fault reader up since to see what the EGR valve sits at when cold.

I am currently thinking of selling the car but I obviously don't want to sell it when it is not running correctly.

If anyone has come across this fault before or has any ideas on what to check I would really appreciate their help

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Hi Keith,

IIRC - you had a fuel transport pump issue previously? Has this been resolved an more importantly installed correctly?

Have you tried the troubleshooting list here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25241

The most common cause of running issues can be traced to the fuel filter Any idea when this was changed last?

Is the primer bulb firm
? Try pressing it and then cranking.

In the live data, do you have a fuel pressure reading?

You could try disconnecting the EGR valve harness (it will trigger an EML) to see if it stays shut when starting.

If the EGR is the issue, it may be too coked to shut and may be beyond the point of cleaning with WYNNs. It's also possible the motor/actuator or even harness (worth inspecting) may be at fault.

The earth strap and battery should also be checked.

As the MAF has a temp sensor you should clean it and check the harness.

If the engine has high mileage, crank and cam sensors or a stretched timing chain are another possibility.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Eoin,

Thanks for getting back to me about this.

Yes I did have problems with the fuel transfer pump was changed on the car during last summer. So far it seems to be fine and appears to still be working.

I just recently changed to fuel filter approximately 2-3k miles ago. The fault was occurring before and after the filter change. The primer bulb is firm and it appears to get fuel with no problem as the engine will start it just dies as soon as it idles.

I meant to say when it is cold just before it dies while idling the revs will not stay steady and revs up and down. Similarly when I rev it to keep it going I usually have it sitting around 2000 revs and this again will not sit steady and will rev up and down.

I am not too sure if the fault reader has fuel pressure reading or not but I will check this.

I will also check to see what the EGR valve is reading and will probably remove it to make sure it is cleaned out. I do know that after adding the EGR cleaner and adding fuel cleaning additive I seem to get a little extra mpg out of the car.

I will also check the battery connections and clean the MAF sensor.

The engine has 137k on it do you think I would be needing to check the crank and cam sensors and look at the timing chain?

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Hi Keith,

if you notice the rev counter flutter (also called hunting) on idle between 800-1000 RPM, it indicates an issue with the SCV (suction control valve) on the Denso fuel pump. This is a known issue on both the 2.2 Di and 2.2 dCi

As per the troubleshooting link, here's a DIY guide on how to change it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7872

You can find the part for £59 here: https://www.dieseljones.co.uk/miscellan ... -0120.html

The timing chain can stretch - it depends on a lot of variables, including oil quality and change intervals. As the SCV controls how the fuel is metered, is a known issue, relatively cheap fix and the rev counter flutters, I'd suggest changing this.

You could try a fuel pump relearn: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14954

I'm guessing your SCV is past the point of being corrected by a relearn, but it will cost nothing to try.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Eoin,

Thanks again for the information I will try the relearn first and if not I will probably change the SCV.

Hopefully it will work, I am fairly certain I am going to trade it in within the next two weeks or so; therefore don't want to put too much time and effort into fixing it. :whistle:

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Eoin,

I tried the fuel relearn last night and it didn't fix the problem so looks like I will have to look about replacing the SCV. Once replaced do I just do a fuel relearn again to set the system?

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Hi Keith,

Correct - change the SCV and perform the relearn.

The SCV, which meters fuel on the Denso HP3 fuel pump, is controlled with PWM, pulse width modulation. The electronic control unit (ECU) learns the electrical current that is required by the SCV, to achieve the common rail pressure that is needed to start the engine and make it run .When the current is too low, this results in a low rail pressure, preventing the engine from starting. In fact, one of the error codes, caused by a malfunctioning SCV, can show up and as a fault fuel pressure relief valve, as the fuel pressure is low. Each pump requires a slightly different current, which is dependent on many factors. As the pump ages and wears, that value will change, which can be corrected or compensated with a relearn. The wear is due to diesel cavitation, which affects the SCV needle, due to the lack of lubrication from low cetane rating diesel. For this reason, using a diesel additive with a high cetane rating as a preventative maintenance is a good idea.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts