Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just taken the Xtrail on a reasonably long journey and on the way back the Engine Light came on, car ran spot on no loss of power, no misfire, no limp mode or any thing. Pulled over and turned off then back on and light went off but came immediately back on. I am getting diagnosed on Monday morning but is there anything obvious like probably a lambda sensor or something common on the Xtrail that would put light on without causing running/driving problems? Any help,comments appreciated thanks Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully not then! I have had a cat go on another car before and that totally lost power and kept cutting out but the Xtrail drives fine, hoping it is a Lambda or MAF even! Find out Monday......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update, my mate who owns a garage popped over on his way to work with his plug-in code reader (sykes pickavant) it says no fault codes are stored and all he had to do is turn out the EML which is not self-diagnosing. He says it could be a "blip" but may be the start of Lambda or MAF problem and it needs driving and monitoring. For now, happy days.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a rattling noise from underneath now, just put on mates ramp and exhaust underneath (looks like cat i reckon) is rattling like a marble in a tin can. Left it with him as i dont want to drive now, wonder if this is why light came on, too much coincidence i reckon but this cat doesnt look like it has a sensor near it like the manifold one does....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced this very same problem!

Engine management light came on shortly after buying the car from a main dealer - took it to my local garage who checked it over and discovered the manifold cat and one sensor was knackered for want of a better expression!

Dealer 'agreed' to settle cost of a new manifold cat and the sensor - I had the other sensor replaced at my own expense just in case.

The dashboard engine light is still on - the garage have checked and rechecked everything over and over - everything is working as it should - car runs perfectly - but every time they program the light to go off it will illuminate again after a mile or so driving.

My solution? - black electrical tape judiciously placed over the offending light, taking care not to obscure the oil light next to it.

The car is due for service and mot next month so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this mean there is a sensor monitoring the 2nd cat as well, (not the manifold one) if so this is why my light came on last night for sure! Hopefully so as the 2nd cat is only a 30 minute job to replace at max, 2 bolts on either side and a triangle gasket inbetween each.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cat under car is shot, totally broken up, once removed all insides have been shook out onto garage floor, part is going to be reinstalled tomorrow so will be running with only 1 cat (manifold one) Update on the way and looks like i have saved around £240 for a new cat..........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorted, car runs perfectly, nice raspy exhaust noise now and just had emissions checked-all is good. Moral is if your 2nd cat breaks up, remove offending item, remove inners and reinstall without! Just saved £250. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Glad you seem to have cracked this little problem!

Removal of the second cat from the exhaust gets rid of the constant engine light on the dash? As well as making the car sound like a Ferrari!!

Hope it works for me to - the exhaust looks like it could do with replacing soon, so I'll specify a 'no cat' version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
something not quite right there.... taking the second cat off defeats the whole emission control stuff that they put these vehicles. yes taking it out may sound cool but you are now in violation. unless you are a mechanic and can mess with all the technology that make that motor/exhaust and what ever other parts require to make the engine work the way it suppose to... I think you will be asking from further problem down the line. IMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.