Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I think most people are now running 5W40. I certainly am. It makes the diesels much more refined. I'm a big fan of Fuchs Titan, but I think any good quality fully-synthetic oil would be OK.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use the 10W40. (If I were closer, I'd buy it off you for my other car, mind)! The first number, as m500 said, is the viscosity when cold. 10 is thicker than 5. With an engine like the Exy that seems to be "marginal" in a variety of areas - particularly turbo bearings, I think you could do it a lot of damage using an oil with a thicker cold viscosity. It's true that in absolute terms, the oil will be thinner in summer (if we ever GET a summer, that is!) but I think that's probably in the realms of "might get away with it" rather than "wouldn't do any harm".

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
HexTrial said:
So....as a new owner, whats the current consensus?

5-40 or 10-40? Full or Semi Synth? How much does it take? (too cold to nip out for the handbook :mrgreen: )

Having been on various car forums I know oil preference will always be a mixed bag but I think it's always a good place to start and hear owners feedback.

I used to run TripleQX 10-40 Semi Synth (via carparts4less) in the MG and that really suited the engine, in fact it might even be suitable for the Exy (oh look at me using lingo) depending on what peoples views are. (Still got a load left).

*edit - 2.2dci*

"Oil" await your views eagerly :biggrin:
5W40. Like Umbongo, I really rate Fuchs Titan. ALWAYS fully synthetic for an Exy, regardless of what brand you use (they need it for the turbo bearings). I've tried Castrol Magnatec, Petronas and a few others but keep coming back to the Fuchs. As has been said, between 5 and 6 litres with a filter change, depending on how much you manage to get out of the sump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts