Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
the 5 or 10 applies to the viscosity when cold, the 5 is thinner and will get around the engine a bit quicker especially in the winter. Given your mileage I would put the 10 40 in for summer and change to 5 40 for winter then stick to that. Are you a fellow horse sufferer (looking at your name!!!)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Reviving this thread as I have updated my thinking on oil! I have ordered 10 litres of 10w40 semi synthetic for the X Trail at a cost of £22 including filter!

My research indicates that synthetic is only beneficial at extreme temperatures, our Xy plods about with no great strain on it, so semi will be fine. Why 10w40? Ours has 63k miles and the engine clearances will have opened out a bit, hence I think the thicker oil will help, I also think it will cling better. Manufacturers base their oil recommendations on new engines.

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and that tows our horse trailer and two horses, AUW about 5 tons. That engine is put under pressure up hills etc and for this reason it will get fully synthetic.

I am going to change the oil on all our cars at 7500 miles, not at 12 months. 12 months seems arbitary, why not 9 months or 15?

This is of course just my thinking, others will have diverse opinions, but TBH I have found many examples where oil change intervals have been taken to extremes with no adverse effects, I think today oils are so advanced almost any oil will work satisfactorily, we are victims of brand values and marketing!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts