Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,140 Posts
Johnwales said:
Shell Helix HX7 5-30 is £16.66+vat for 5Lt delivered for free from Euro parts.
JW
Wow! That's cheaper than Asda brand oil! :lol: I was considering that as it says it's ACEA C3, but I've opted for Castrol Edge as Costco were doing a deal and works out around £25 for 4ltrs. Next year, I may check out Europarts.

Cheers

Bloggsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Reviving this thread as I have updated my thinking on oil! I have ordered 10 litres of 10w40 semi synthetic for the X Trail at a cost of £22 including filter!

My research indicates that synthetic is only beneficial at extreme temperatures, our Xy plods about with no great strain on it, so semi will be fine. Why 10w40? Ours has 63k miles and the engine clearances will have opened out a bit, hence I think the thicker oil will help, I also think it will cling better. Manufacturers base their oil recommendations on new engines.

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and that tows our horse trailer and two horses, AUW about 5 tons. That engine is put under pressure up hills etc and for this reason it will get fully synthetic.

I am going to change the oil on all our cars at 7500 miles, not at 12 months. 12 months seems arbitary, why not 9 months or 15?

This is of course just my thinking, others will have diverse opinions, but TBH I have found many examples where oil change intervals have been taken to extremes with no adverse effects, I think today oils are so advanced almost any oil will work satisfactorily, we are victims of brand values and marketing!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I think you may be right m500dpp. Just sold a Subaru Impreza GX which I owned for over 4 years and never once did an oil change (never washed it either come to think of it!)!! Granted I topped it up once in a while but it purred along without complaint - maybe I got lucky :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Hi guys - got a problem. I have a 54 plate dCi but registered 2005. Which filters etc would I need, I notice they change over about that time (so I think). Is there a way to tell for sure before I purchase?

If anyone could reply with a link that'd be great. It looks like the oil filter/fuel filter are the ones that have changed.

Many thanks

Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Rob
Best bet is to have a look in the engine bay and see what you have.By the looks of it there was "screw on" fuel filters and the "canister" type fuel filter.There was "drop in" paper oil filters and the "screw on" type.

Mine is an 06 plate dci and I have the canister type fuel filter and screw on oil filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
leafy1 said:
Rob
Best bet is to have a look in the engine bay and see what you have.By the looks of it there was "screw on" fuel filters and the "canister" type fuel filter.There was "drop in" paper oil filters and the "screw on" type.

Mine is an 06 plate dci and I have the canister type fuel filter and screw on oil filter.
Thanks I'll try and look, any chance you could let me know where to look for the filters?

Thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
swampy_donkey said:
leafy1 said:
Rob
Best bet is to have a look in the engine bay and see what you have.By the looks of it there was "screw on" fuel filters and the "canister" type fuel filter.There was "drop in" paper oil filters and the "screw on" type.

Mine is an 06 plate dci and I have the canister type fuel filter and screw on oil filter.
Thanks I'll try and look, any chance you could let me know where to look for the filters?

Thanks again
I have a local APD Motor factors close to me and GSF Motor factors so easy to get service items just pop in and give them your reg or ebay is a good place if you don't mind waiting once you have found what to look for .I just get the parts numbers off the filters and everything shows up as they don't just use the an xtrail filter on an xtrail it will be used on other vehicles as well . http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSA ... Sw8oFX0CaV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
So....as a new owner, whats the current consensus?

5-40 or 10-40? Full or Semi Synth? How much does it take? (too cold to nip out for the handbook :mrgreen: )

Having been on various car forums I know oil preference will always be a mixed bag but I think it's always a good place to start and hear owners feedback.

I used to run TripleQX 10-40 Semi Synth (via carparts4less) in the MG and that really suited the engine, in fact it might even be suitable for the Exy (oh look at me using lingo) depending on what peoples views are. (Still got a load left).

*edit - 2.2dci*

"Oil" await your views eagerly :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I use Triple QX 5w-40 fully synthetic for my 2.2dci.

Reason I use it is it's easily available and was the first off the shelf oil I could find that matched all the specs stated in the Nissan user manual.

From memory it takes a little over 5 litres. I'm sure someone else will confirm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
HexTrial said:
So....as a new owner, whats the current consensus?

5-40 or 10-40? Full or Semi Synth? How much does it take? (too cold to nip out for the handbook :mrgreen: )

Having been on various car forums I know oil preference will always be a mixed bag but I think it's always a good place to start and hear owners feedback.

I used to run TripleQX 10-40 Semi Synth (via carparts4less) in the MG and that really suited the engine, in fact it might even be suitable for the Exy (oh look at me using lingo) depending on what peoples views are. (Still got a load left).

*edit - 2.2dci*

"Oil" await your views eagerly :biggrin:
5W40. Like Umbongo, I really rate Fuchs Titan. ALWAYS fully synthetic for an Exy, regardless of what brand you use (they need it for the turbo bearings). I've tried Castrol Magnatec, Petronas and a few others but keep coming back to the Fuchs. As has been said, between 5 and 6 litres with a filter change, depending on how much you manage to get out of the sump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
You should probably specify your engine type. I have the 2.5 and use 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic, and with filter change it takes roughly 4.2 litres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, funnily enough I was on Opie Oils site last night and the Fuchs caught my eye also, so I'm please to see it being mentioned in high regard.

I'll stick a stocking out for the Exy, if the dog has one then SWMBO cannot argue against it. :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I use Fuchs titan pro 5w-30 and always use Mahle filters. My gears were a bit notchy when cold, I tried everything before reading about Redline. I now use that in gearbox and never had a problem since, not that there was a real problem but smooth is better.
 
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Top