Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow a caravan, is it possible to raise the engine power/torque output, for example by electronic chip/any other way, and if this is possible, would the fuel consumption be altered.
If electronic method possible, would this damage the engine,?, and can changes be made simply for say towing purposes, and for solo 2 people use.
Rambling a bit I know, but sure someone out there will be able to understand what I want
Regards

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi,
do you have a petrol or diesel.?

I have a 2.5 that runs on lpg it is a bit gut less not too bad but no way the same as my 2.2 dci sport 2005. there are companys that will remap the ecu. also you can get a chip box to increase the power.If your xtrail is a 136bhp there is no need to up the power not so sure about the lower bhp models.. I had a picasso that i had remapped took it fron 90bhp to 128bhp what a difference. pulled the caravan with ease and solo it was a dream got more mpg too. just remember your insurance. i dont think for one moment that thay would know if it was remaped. or chip/box this can been seen though i don think you are a boy racer..lol all the chip boxs are plug and play so very easy to remove if needed, look on the web ... all car engines are made to run on lower bhp ,power so as to reduce stress on it. so thay last longer. ..
regards..mark

look on ebay Item number: 170305940609 this will give you all the info you will need also there are others on this forum that have done the same ... good luck...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thinking of chipping my 2.2Dci.

Tow a fairly heavy van with it, sometimes feels like it could do with a bit more poke. Spoke to a company called Tunit on Friday, who claim to give the car about 25% more horsepower and torque. They also claim around 2-3 mpg improvement whilst towing. There is a testimonial/review/press release on their website specifically for the x-trail (which interestingly made nowhere near the power Nissan claim)

Also all the warranty details are there too :- www.tunit.com

Have no idea how a chipped x-trail would get on in the long run. They already have a few reliability issues relating to the turbos and intercoolers (as on mine and a few other peeps on here's cars). Anyone else had any experience with a chip / remap? Seen plenty of Primeras and Almeras mapped to 160bhp+ without any dramas... but not many x-trails.

Hope this helps,

Andy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi People

Thought i'd let you know i fitted this to my Navara Origanally and Now to My Xtrail 2.2Dci 136PS and it makes a HUGE Difference

http://racechip.de/

Ok it was nearly £200 but now when i leave it in 3rd gear in two wheel drive the esp light goes crazy.

It is said to develop now 175BHP and 292FTLB Torque!!!

The Best Setting ive found to give you fuel effiency and most torque at 3000RPM is:

First Dial 6
Second Dial 4

The first dial is designed to push more diesel into the engine

The Second dial is to tell the engine when to hit the limit so to speak.

Will get some picture and upload them shorlty to show you all but is a good bit of kit but you basically have to dyno the car yourself.... still cheaper than getting it done professionally.

Also dont worry it wont damage it i set both dials to 9 and the Engine managment light comes in and it goes into limp mode.

You can also set the race chip to ECO Mode to get an easy 50+MPG but who worries about that when you can have 292ftlb torque ;)

PS dont go for the ones on eBay etc spend the extra money and you wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any chance of some pics & how easy is the racechip to fit?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive got a 2.2 Di

Ive been on Racechip.de and it lists this Chiptuning Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dCi, 2184ccm, 84kW (114PS) which i know my car puts ou as standard

Then they list
Chiptuning Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dCi, 2184ccm, 100kW (136PS), which im guessing is a Dci spec

So would th efirst one work with mine?

thanks
neil

·
Registered
30 Posts
Considering the known potential issues with the DCi unit I am being cautious about tuning with mine.

I have previous had remapped Volvos and BMWs - without problems - but I will see how she tows before upping the power.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been doing alot of research into this

I've found a very good company who supply a box style setup which plugs onto the injectors and takesa power suply from the battery

Also im looking into a remap as well, should hav eosme more answers tomorrow

·
Registered
85 Posts
I looked into a remap/ superchip side of things, however i've gone with a tuning box

I havent bought a ebay jobby either i have bought it from a proper Tuning Firm who have been around since 2005. The company is very highly regarded through out the tuning scene and i have read many rave reviews from other users with different makes models etc

I have also read 2 other Nissan Xtrail owners reviews again both were very pleased

I will take pic's of the kit when it arrivies ill also take pics of the install
Neil

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cliffy said:
I looked into a remap/ superchip side of things, however i've gone with a tuning box

I havent bought a ebay jobby either i have bought it from a proper Tuning Firm who have been around since 2005. The company is very highly regarded through out the tuning scene and i have read many rave reviews from other users with different makes models etc

I have also read 2 other Nissan Xtrail owners reviews again both were very pleased

I will take pic's of the kit when it arrivies ill also take pics of the install
Neil
Go on then, which company?? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
37 Posts
all the superchip does, as the same with all super chips is lie about the engine temperature so it inputs more diesel,

Very cheap way and effective, just throw more diesel in for more power...

The chip is very reliable and does not affect the current engine managment system, i will get some pics up for those asking how easy it is to fit but it is as shown on racechips.de

I had to cut my cables and rewire them slightly as my chip was for a navara but i couldnt be asked to spend £30 on a cable to change it....

Only once had the engine management light come on and thats because i turned the superchip up to high, turned it back down disconnected the battery and reconnected it and hey presto back to normal, you can't go wrong with it trust me,

0.60 in 9.1 seconds now, not that fast i know but hey it is a 4x4 essentially

1 - 13 of 13 Posts