Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my 06 plate DCI is making a rattle / squeaking sound from the engine on start up when cold. It is getting increasingly noticeable and is audible over the general diesel engine rattle.

It disappears when warmed through and has no noticeable impact on performance.

Anyone any ideas why it squeaks like this and then disappears and whether I need to be worried about it / do anything. Cars done about 40K miles.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it is quite common. I'm selling my wife's 2006/55 at the moment and it has 'squeaked' when starting from cold for some time. Never had any comment from the Nissan dealer that does the servicing. There is a video near the bottom of this page showing the car starting from cold. If yours makes the same sound then I think you're OK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats exactly the same noise mine is making - I was minded to ignore it as there is no impact on performance and it has been doing it for over a year.....didn't when we first had it (at 13k miles)

Great set of pics for sale by the way. Hope you sell the car.

Cheers

·
Registered
524 Posts
Timing chains can give a rattle on start up until the oil has warmed a little and thinned a bit, as this helps the tensioner work on the chain better ,very small oil feed holes in the tensioner body (Yes I have taken one apart).My advice is change oil and use recommended 5/30 fully syn .Do the oil changes at say 5k miles and if you can just add little red diesel or road diesel in oil filler (No more than a tea cup amount)and take for a short drive before you drain oil for the oil change (Doubt dealers would ever do this now) . If you take oil filler cap off and look inside the surfaces should shine ,just look for black sludge deposits as this could mean non-regular oil changes .Once you start getting sludgy deposits this can partially block small oil ways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts