Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 T31, had it for five years. On holiday last week the engine warning light came on and stayed on. No symptoms. On the way home, at a fuel stop, it went out and didn't come back on.

Any possible explanations? By way of background, a couple of months ago I had to have the DPF sensor replaced because it was faulty and put the thing in limp mode.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I take it car did not go into limp mode this time? Engine Warning Light only?
Then, I'd probably wait to see if it ever comes on again.
If you're keen for an earlier diagnosis, take car to someone who has diagnostic laptop to see what codes have been recorded during this one of incident. I'd go to Nissan as a very last resort as they will be expensive and will try to tempt you into spending money on all kinds of things, mostly unnecessary. Try to find a local mechanic that has diagnostic system, most do these days.

Just a long shot - others can correct me, but from what I've read on this forum, the Engine Warning Light can come on if DPF is becoming blocked up. If on first occasion it comes on for this reason, problem can be sorted by driving car immediately for ten or fifteen minutes at high RPM, ie. above 2000 RPM on a good road after engine has reached operating temperature until light goes out. This will burn out the deposits in the DPF. Could this be possible in you're incident? Apparently if this is not done when Engine Warning Light first comes on, it will remain on indefinitely until fault cleared and DPF regeneration carried out.

Otherwise a sensor fault / anomaly caused your light to come on during initial startup tests. Then on subsequent shutdown and re-start, sensor did not fail test. If this is the scenario, then, as stated above, wait to see if it occurs again. There is however at least a 50% chance it will occur again, and on an increasingly frequent basis forcing you to have it diagnosed. However there is also a possibility that it was a one off sensor anomaly that may not recur.

BTW, I am not a full expert with limitless knowledge on this car, I can only reflect what I've learned through having read most of the content on this forum, and personal experience during the 3 years I've owned a T31.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adrian4X4 said:
I take it car did not go into limp mode this time? Engine Warning Light only?

[GK] Thanks for your reply. No it didn't limp this time.

[adrian] Then, I'd probably wait to see if it ever comes on again.
If you're keen for an earlier diagnosis, take car to someone who has diagnostic laptop to see what codes have been recorded during this one of incident. I'd go to Nissan as a very last resort as they will be expensive and will try to tempt you into spending money on all kinds of things, mostly unnecessary. Try to find a local mechanic that has diagnostic system, most do these days.

Just a long shot - others can correct me, but from what I've read on this forum, the Engine Warning Light can come on if DPF is becoming blocked up. If on first occasion it comes on for this reason, problem can be sorted by driving car immediately for ten or fifteen minutes at high RPM, ie. above 2000 RPM on a good road after engine has reached operating temperature until light goes out. This will burn out the deposits in the DPF. Could this be possible in you're incident?

[GK] This seems unlikely because only the day before I had done a 100-mile high-speed drive to the holiday destination without problems. Also, if the DPF is clogging up, shouldn't the specific DPF light come on first, before the engine light? Mind you I have little faith in these systems. How stupid is it to have a DPF sensor to check that the DPF is working, and which disables the car when the sensor fails but the DPF is working fine? If they're stupid enough to do that, they're stupid enough not to trigger the DPF warning light before the engine light.

[A]Apparently if this is not done when Engine Warning Light first comes on, it will remain on indefinitely until fault cleared and DPF regeneration carried out.

[A] Otherwise a sensor fault / anomaly caused your light to come on during initial startup tests. Then on subsequent shutdown and re-start, sensor did not fail test. If this is the scenario, then, as stated above, wait to see if it occurs again. There is however at least a 50% chance it will occur again, and on an increasingly frequent basis forcing you to have it diagnosed. However there is also a possibility that it was a one off sensor anomaly that may not recur.

[GK] That sounds plausible. I wish the car had been designed to show these error codes on request without one needing a special gadget. It does after all have a perfectly good hi-res screen that could have been used to show them on request.

The light hasn't come back on, but the wife is agitating for a new car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
On the subject of warning lights...my recent battery problem didn't throw up any warning lights on the instrument panel and the battery light remained as bright as ever even though it was completely discharged at one point. This has made me realise that the warning lights are not to be relied upon.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Regarding the DPF light, my experience of this is that if the DPF light comes on, as mine has done a few times, you have to take the car for a decent run immediately. At least 40 minutes at a constant speed above 45mph. If you don't do this straight away, the EML light is likely to come on too. If this happens, no amount of driving it will have any effect and you will have to take the car to a garage for a forced regeneration.

If the EML has come on before the DPF light, I doubt whether the DPF is clogged. The problem probably lies elsewhere. I would take it to my local garage and get them to read the codes. It could just be a sensor problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, it was just a long shot my suggestion regarding DPF.
In answer to your question, yes you are right, the DPF light should come on first in the above case.
But, your incident may indeed be nothing to do with the DPF.

But don't be put off, the T31 is generally a great car, and you'll find that regardless of some niggles when down the years a bit (all cars do, and some much worse), it is generally a very reliable car, more reliable than most similar cars out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, here we are again. A month later and the engine warning light has come back on, towards the end of a perfectly normal 20-mile run. In between times we've done a couple of 150-mile runs at 70mph.

I read the other thread where somebody said it might be the brake light fuse, but it isn't; all three lights are working normally. No other warning lights.

Maybe it's the rain.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Gamekeeper said:
Well, here we are again. A month later and the engine warning light has come back on, towards the end of a perfectly normal 20-mile run. In between times we've done a couple of 150-mile runs at 70mph.

I read the other thread where somebody said it might be the brake light fuse, but it isn't; all three lights are working normally. No other warning lights.

Maybe it's the rain.
Definitely worth getting someone with a code-reader to check for a fault code.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts