Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi went to jump into my 2008 T31 2ltr dci xtrail this afternoon to find the engine turning over but wont fire up. My brother in law kindly plugged in his works diagnostic laptop which showed fault code P0016 with the following message "sync camshaft, crankshaft amount out of range"

Has anyone else had the same fault and can anyone elaborate as to what the fault would be? is it a faulty camshaft sensor, or crankshaft sensor or more worrying has the timing chain jumped a cog. There were no problems prior to this occurring.

As always many thanks in advance.
John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Colster, its with the mechanic at the minute he thought it could be a crankcase sensor fault but obviously wont know for sure until he has a look,,:unsure:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plot thickens.. My mechanic has confirmed that there is no problem with the timing chain etc.. He replaced the crankshaft sensor and the engine fires up but will not continue to run there now appears to be a fuel pump / fuel feed issue are they linked? The engine was running fine prior the initial fault..

·
Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
755 Posts
Ask him to disconnect Cam Sensor and see if engine starts and continues to run.

Has timing chain definitely not jumped even one tooth?

Fuel system fault should not generate the fault code you are getting. Has the code been cleared? If so, is it returning?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colster that's whats confusing me the only fault code was the initial one I mentioned above... I will speak to him tomorrow and pass on what you have suggested. From my conversation with him today I don't believe any fault codes are appearing now. If the timing chain has jumped a cog wouldn't the same code reappear?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Guys, read my thread further down about my still ongoing failure to start episode, I may have already described exactly the same problem as you.
Mine will not start either, fuel pump not delivering fuel when engine turning / cranking, but the mechanic has today discovered the timing chain is still on the top camshaft cog, but he has only started to work on it, needs further investigation.
Though I didn't get that fault code you got, but still sounds like similar problem, maybe?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have just been reading of a similar issue on the Renault Forum. Apparently a faulty MAF sensor can cause the issue you are having. Disconnect MAF and see if engine will start. If it does, you need a new MAF.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all sorry for the delay on posting an update. My car is still at the mechanics (4wks and counting this coming Monday) and yes it has jumped 2 cogs on the timing chain. A new timing chain kit was fitted but the engine has a misfire further checks have shown compression readings on cylinders 1,2 and 3 of 4bars cylinder 4 has a reading of 1 bar so it's looking like valve damage to cylinder 4. The engine has been taken out to allow the head to be taken off. The nightmare continues. 🙈

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A further update.. Spoke with my mechanic yesterday a slight misunderstanding in what I posted earlier.. Cylinder 1,2 and 3 were giving a reading on the compression test of 150psi cylinder 4 read zero. The head has been taken off and there appears to be no damage to any of the valves, followers, or piston. The head gasket looks okay but will be replaced in the rebuild. The head is being tested for any cracks. In short the mechanic is baffled as to why there is no compression in cylinder 4..has anyone any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I forgot to add there is no damage to the piston rings or liner in the cylinder. The valves are all being replaced and re ground but its a big risk building the engine back up and the problem being still there....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Read my failure to start thread as well. I had a failure to start problem, and like yours, it has lead to a deeper mechanical engine problem, but source remains a mystery.
Also, progress with mine is extremely slow. I've been without my car now since 13th September!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sorry I forgot to add there is no damage to the piston rings or liner in the cylinder. The valves are all being replaced and re ground but its a big risk building the engine back up and the problem being still there....
I expect valves will have been bent, despite them looking ok. The head should be pressure tested before reassembly and skimmed if necessary.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good advice guys.. The mechanic put the valves of cylinder 4into an electric drill and spun them there is no obvious wiggle to the end of the valve when spun so if they are bent it must be very slight. I had hoped it would be quite obvious.. I've everything crossed that compression in cylinder 4 returns when the engine is rebuilt.. 🤞🤞

1 - 15 of 15 Posts