Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to the xtrail and here, so be gentle please.

Just picked up an 02 xtrail this week, 84k miles fsh for £3k. On the whole I am happy with it but there is a problem.

It is sucking fuel at an alarming rate. Now I know it's a petrol 4x4 but I am literally watching the gauge move, I've done around 120 miles and it is showing 1/4 tank left (from full). The idle is also not right. It stays high for a few seconds after I take my foot off the gas, then drops very low. The car also seems to run on after the ignition is turned off. I would also say it feels a bit sluggish to drive but I haven't driven any others to compare.

If this was on older car I would be getting out my strobe, as the symptoms feel like the ignition is too far retarded. Unfortunately the days of setting the timing by adjusting the distributor are gone. Where do I start? Is there anything I can check myself or is it a case of taking it to a dealer to plug into the computer?

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Iain

Check that the air filter isn't blocked or full of crud.
Check your spark plugs - you'll need a long reach plug spanner for them as they're "way down in there!

That's about the extent of my technical help - hopefully someone else will have additions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have solved this but will need to run it for a few days to find out. I borrowed a code reader which said no codes were stored on the car; not surprising as the light wasn't on. I called the dealer and the workshop suggested a lazy O2 sensor as a possible cause. Anything else would apparently show up a fault code.

I disconnected the plugs for the 2 lambda sensors and found 1 of them was a bit dirty so I sprayed some contact cleaner and worked the plugs in and out to ensure the contacts were clean. Job done (hopefully). The car certainly starts and idles better now and seems to pull stronger too. I have bought a new air filter as well, as the current one is a bit dirty, just waiting for the rain to stop before I fit it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.