Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kev
Re: air temp. Thought I'd work out the actual benefit of the intake so looked up the theory in an old school book, "Physics and Calculations made fun" by F. Inhardsums and worked out that if the ambient air temperature is 3 degrees lower than the temperature at the air mass meter, and Janet left home at 8.30am and walked 3 miles to school, John would need to leave home at 8.45am on his bike to to be back home before he left without passing Janet on the way. The calculation for this would be: air temperature times 3.14 squared minus Janets height = 2 pears and 1 apple :lol:

Seriously mate, haven't got a clue! I've seen the great mods you've done to your cold air system but I really just wanted more air into the intake - took it from the bumper slot so that at least it's colder air than from inside the engine bay. Theory is that air will get pushed into the intake mouth as speed increases (ram air effect) and although it sounds crazy, it definately has made a difference -gears hang on for longer and kickdown has more pulling power on motorways - honest - no Janet and John rubbish here - it does make a difference but only at higher speeds. I'll see if I can work out a way of doing a comparison with/without it and let you know - probably find there's no difference at all and I may as well have ground and polished my air freshner.

Cheers Kev, Vandy.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kev.

Have had a go at doing a test with the air intake - not scientific method I know but I ran the car for a week with it connected and checked out pulling power from mid range and up. Following week I took the contraption off and did same runs checking pulling power. I know you won't believe this but honest to the wee man, it really didn't run as well :smile:

I've re-fitted it and now back to better pulling power and it does hold 3rd gear for longer. Tried it week on/week off as I wanted to give the ECU a chance to re-adjust itself. I'm not saying it will burn off a 911 at the lights but it does make a nid range difference - must do, as it's allowing more air in. One day I may do as you've done with your cold air but as we've discussed before the exhaust needs to be the first mod, then the air.
Hope you're well - cheers mate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.