Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I collected my X Trail 48 hours ago. Drove to Cork. In 6th gear at 120kph (72mph) and with cruise control on, it purred along the motorway like a kitten.
The only disappointment was the fuel consumption-33mpg. The official combined figure is 39.
I have looked at some engine performance enhancements on the net that claim to give increased mpg, but the cost of these would buy a lot of diesel. Any thoughts?

Gabriel (AKA Schillaci) I got this nickname during the 1990 World Cup becauese some of my friends thought I looked like Toto Schillaci the Italian centre forward!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey there, glad you like your new exy.

As regards to the fuel consumption, i don't know how long it was sitting before you got it, but my fuel consumption dropped as i broke it in(as much my driving style as the car), i don't have the Diesel version, but i find on longer journeys sitting just under 70mph dramitically improves MPG, I think u'll also find official figures are always over-rated as they are done in lab test conditions a lot of the time.

Enjoy your motoring!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I had not thought of that. I know new cars have "tight" engines and the mpg can be low until they loosen out. I know my X Trail was lying up for 14 months before I got it. I will also cut my speed on the motorway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find that just a difference of a few mph makes a lot of difference on MPG, you have find the best RPM to sit on as you cruise along. My Exy had sat for a few months before i got it and the intials MPG was a bit scary, but after i while it gave a much better true figure. I guess its just a question of letting the engine work to its best again. And like i said before it takes a while to know how to drive your car best.

Hope it all works out ok

·
Registered
36 Posts
schillaci said:
Just filled the fuel tank for the second time. MPG up to 36. Happier with that. Many thanks.
We have a 2005 X trail diesel and it returns 38 mpg average. Our runs involve a lot of country roads with a bit of town, up and down the box and not a lot of 6th gear use.
Quite pleased with that....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
38 MPG is really excellent for the type of driving you are doing. I don't know how well my X Trail was serviced in the past, but I'll be getting new filters soon and a fuel treatment to clean out it's "insides". Hopefully that will improve it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts