Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2.2 sport, 05 registration. When leaving it parked for more than 2 days the battery goes flat.
I checked it with a meter and is discharging at 0.4 amps with the engine switchef off, all fuses removed it still discharges 0.4 amps.
Has anyone else had this problem, if so what was the fix?

Thank you in advance, Cairns Galbraith.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi had a problem like that on another car it was traced back to the alternater being faulty ! it was feedin back to earth and dischaging the batery. dont know how to test for this but hope it may help you .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, disconnected it today, I am afraid the problem is still there.
Can anyone suggest another fix.

Thanks, Cairns.

PS. As I am new to this forum I would like to take this oppertunity to say hello to everyone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So - what exactly have you disconnected? the alternator and alll the fuses?
Maplins have a neat bit of kit which plugs into a fuse socket and allows you to monitor current drain.

You say .4Amp - it could be the alarm system, as that is very low - it also implies that the battery, if it discharges over 2 days, only has a capacity of 19.2AH which is rediculously low. I suggest you take your motor to Halfords, or somewhere similar and get the battery and alternator checked (its free).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
.4 amps is not that low as a continuous discharge but the battery in theory should stand it. On my previous car, a Mazda 6, the alternator was only a current producing machine (ac alternator) and all the electronics were external and the contol of the electronics was in the engine management unit. So disconnecting the alternator in this cercumstance wouldn't give a true picture. I don't know what nissan do. One fault with alternators is if a certain diode fails it will still produce a fair amount of current but not 100%, but will also cause a discharge. As someone suggest it needs checking. I would suggest an auto electricians rather than Halfords. Halfords would be able to check the state of the battery though and if the car was charging a full volts.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
p.s. looking at the T31 workshop manual it seems that the alternator is a conventional one so the diodes would be included in the frame of the alternator

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi
Just a thought but if the battery has been drained a couple of times then the battery is probably shot, it never will recharge back to its original state and alas its new battery time, modern batteries only last 3 or so years and when they gone they're gone....sorry.

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
try disconecting the positive lead from the battery if it loses charge the batteryis at fault.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
somewhere like halfords should be able to do a battery capacity check though. In theory if a battery is completely flattened it will not recover completely. Having said this, on my last car (Mazda 6) when the original battery was about 5 1/2 years old it got accidently flattened but my Lidl charger brought it back to life and it was still going strong when I sold it 6 months later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the advice, I shall spend a day, probably early in the new year, checking out your points. My son spoke to a service manager in a Nissan dealership and he reckoned that earlier models had problems with the radio draining the battery over a few days.

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know. I shall keep you updated on my findings and what finally fixed this problem, thats confidence for you..........

Thank you all again, Cairns Galbraith.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, sorry for the delay in giving an update but I have been very busy. To start with I have had a terrible 2 months trying to start this beast in the cold mornings, I have been hooking up my charger on trickle over night, if I forget I have to jump start it with my wifes trusty old Corsa.

Yesterday I asked my local garage if they could check out the X-T, they suggested I use a mobile auto electrician as they had more experience and would probably find the fault quicker. On the way home I noticed an auto electricians van parked in the next street, I phoned the mobile No. and was told that 0.4 amp drainage should not flatten the battery overnight, I should have realised that. He then asked if the make of the battery was a Moura, it was, and he then suggested the first thing to do was replace it with another brand, even though it is only 6 months old.

My battery has a 60 ah rating, I think it should be higher, can anyone tell me what it should be? I still think 0.4 amp drain is high as the battery would be flat in 6 days with a 60ah, and an 85 ah would last fror just over 8 days, this would mean that if you went on holiday and left the car at the airport in just under a week you would need the AA to start you, I have never had to do this with any other car I have owned in the past, and one of them was an Morris Marina, terrible car.

I thank everyone for their input, and would appreciate any other help/information if possible.

Thanks again, Cairns Galbraith.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
galbrac said:
Hi, sorry for the delay in giving an update but I have been very busy. To start with I have had a terrible 2 months trying to start this beast in the cold mornings, I have been hooking up my charger on trickle over night, if I forget I have to jump start it with my wifes trusty old Corsa.

Yesterday I asked my local garage if they could check out the X-T, they suggested I use a mobile auto electrician as they had more experience and would probably find the fault quicker. On the way home I noticed an auto electricians van parked in the next street, I phoned the mobile No. and was told that 0.4 amp drainage should not flatten the battery overnight, I should have realised that. He then asked if the make of the battery was a Moura, it was, and he then suggested the first thing to do was replace it with another brand, even though it is only 6 months old.

My battery has a 60 ah rating, I think it should be higher, can anyone tell me what it should be? I still think 0.4 amp drain is high as the battery would be flat in 6 days with a 60ah, and an 85 ah would last fror just over 8 days, this would mean that if you went on holiday and left the car at the airport in just under a week you would need the AA to start you, I have never had to do this with any other car I have owned in the past, and one of them was an Morris Marina, terrible car.

I thank everyone for their input, and would appreciate any other help/information if possible.

Thanks again, Cairns Galbraith.
Read this post for battery spec.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1685

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the battery is only 6 months old... take it back to the store you bought it. Unless it is different in the UK... all batteries have at least a 2 year return policy...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eventually took everyones advice and replaced the battery, the accessory shop was not for doing it as it tested okay, but I managed to convince them. It now starts without a problem, have left it for a few nights in the freezing cold and still starts OK.

It appears 0.4 amp is acceptable reading when engine switched off, I also got the battery capacity wrong, it was 550 ah not 60. which means it would take nearly 3 months to drain, sorry for the misinformation and I would like to thank you all for your comments.

Best regards Cairns Galbraith.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All,
New poster so please be gentle..
I have a 2005 2.2DCI with a similar problem, it completely discharges the battery overnight.
Firstly I thought it was the battery, so I replaced with my winching unit which it also killed, so I started to worry :shock:
I contacted a local auto electrician who traced the problem to the glowplug relay bieng energised all the time, but this was bieng commanded through the engine ECU, a Denso unit available new only at a cost of £1200 :shock:
I have run arounf for a few weeks now as the weather is fine with the relay disconnected and the engine managment light on, however its time to take the plunge, the auto electrical place will not touch it as the ECU has to be programmed on the vehicle, and I suppose the cost is also an issue. Has anybody had any experience of this? can the denso unit be replaced with the repairable bosch unit?
I was hoping the ecu was bombproof, and there may be a wiring issue, does anybody have the wiring diagrams for this model?
I am willing to buy/pay postage etc.....

Best regards to you all

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts