Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
Wonder if you can help.
Got a 55 plate X-trail, and up here in Scotland, seems to be kangarooing/suffering from fuel deprivation once it hits -6 degrees.
Thought i'd sort it by bleeding water from the fuel filter. Didn't resolve it, so back to kangarooing once it drops to about -6 degrees.
Anyone else had this problem, and know what to try next?.
As it only happens at cold temperatures, I'm convinced its just freezing condensation or gelling of fuel somewhere.
Don't fancy handing it over to a garage yet as the car drives like a dream the rest of the time

thanks for any help you can give !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Could be your fuel/water seperator starting to block how many miles since it was changed? recommend 18000 mile frequency could be made worst by the diesel starting to wax/gel with the cold temps but you shouldn't really be having problems with diesel freezing at -6

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
This could be a solution for where your location is, if your having trouble with waxing of your diesel that is!............................could be a good investment too.
ATG Diesel-Therm 12v Universal Version
Link
http://www.dieselveg.com/diesel-therm_dhs12.htm

I use BP Ultimate all the time in my vehicle, it stops the clouds of black smoke when accelerating from a start and gear changes on motorways I only had this black smoke when using the cheaper versions of diesel, it's a bit more expensive the ultimate but, the engine does seem to benefit from using it and I've never had any problems from freezing diesel even when it was -17 last week.
BP Ultimate Diesel
Link
http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?cat ... Id=7009112

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coradia63 said:
Hi,

Could be your fuel/water seperator starting to block how many miles since it was changed? recommend 18000 mile frequency could be made worst by the diesel starting to wax/gel with the cold temps but you shouldn't really be having problems with diesel freezing at -6
Thanks for the suggestion. I presume the fuel/water separator sits inside the fuel filter housing and is part of a standard M2 or M3 service?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've forwarded this to my friend on the Isle of Mull who is having similar difficulties with his renault. Are you in a remote area where the turn over of diesel is low, and may be your garage still has "summer" diesel without the anti-waxing additives?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chrisuk said:
I've forwarded this to my friend on the Isle of Mull who is having similar difficulties with his renault. Are you in a remote area where the turn over of diesel is low, and may be your garage still has "summer" diesel without the anti-waxing additives?
No. All my fuel is bought in Edinburgh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.