Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.Mot up again.Last year ..on Mot ..minor faults said corroded front brake.Looking on Ebay they all seem to be rubber/compound with metal connecters.Xtrail is 2005 dci 136 BHP.Anyone know which pipes i need.Any help appreciated.Regards Barry.PS .Are they easy to fit.Baz

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello.Mot up again.Last year ..on Mot ..minor faults said corroded front brake.Looking on Ebay they all seem to be rubber/compound with metal connecters.Xtrail is 2005 dci 136 BHP.Anyone know which pipes i need.Any help appreciated.Regards Barry.PS .Are they easy to fit.Baz

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
58 Posts
Just sand the pipes and paint them over. Usually powder coating comes off them. Or get a set of pipes made up from local car shop. Easier if you take the old ones out so they know the lengths and how to bend it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just sand the pipes and paint them over. Usually powder coating comes off them. Or get a set of pipes made up from local car shop. Easier if you take the old ones out so they know the lengths and how to bend it.
Thank you for your advice.So the brake pipes are metal,and not rubber....as on Ebay they are rubber.Regards Barry

·
Registered
548 Posts
There are flexible brake pipes Barry on the front of the Xtrail too and they can perish ,does the advisory say perished or corroded. Usually an MOT tester would put perished brake hoses if they meant the flexible rubber type.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HeLLO Leafy.Thank you for your message.Mot said corroded front pipes,i have only done 1000 miles since last mot,so i am hoping it might be another advisory again.Green Tail advised me to take the wheels of and sand the pipes down and give them a coat of paint....havent had time to do this...as i am 74 now...would prove to be difficult for me.Hope you and yours are well Regards Barry

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sometimes they are just an advisory so I just gently rub the pipes with a fine grit paper as said above or wire brush ,then what I do is get a very small dob of grease on my finger to rub over them .Don't go way over the top with the grease Barry, you just want to put a quick wiping on them ,just make the pipe shine .

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes they are just an advisory so I just gently rub the pipes with a fine grit paper as said above or wire brush ,then what I do is get a very small dob of grease on my finger to rub over them .Don't go way over the top with the grease Barry, you just want to put a quick wiping on them ,just make the pipe shine .
Hiya Leafy.Thank you for your kind advise.How do i get to the the brake pipes.Can i just take the wheel off, or does the xy have to be lifted.Regards Barry

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
58 Posts
I would be honest, the questions you are asking I would refrain from doing any work whatsoever on the car yourself personally. If you are not competent enough to understand some of the basic stuff many have said here, it is then best left to an experienced home mechanic or a professional (i.e. a garage)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way Barry but as GreenTrail above says ,if your asking questions like "How to get to the brake pipes" it's best to leave it to a garage ect to do these jobs for you .You have to know what your doing when taking wheels off and jacking vehicles up ,especially if you need to get underneath now and then ..You've probably got to a good age now by being pretty careful over your life but we just want to say that's all .

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't take this the wrong way Barry but as GreenTrail above says ,if your asking questions like "How to get to the brake pipes" it's best to leave it to a garage ect to do these jobs for you .You have to know what your doing when taking wheels off and jacking vehicles up ,especially if you need to get underneath now and then ..You've probably got to a good age now by being pretty careful over your life but we just want to say that's all .Hiya Leafy.Thank you for your most sensible reply.I do of course agree with all you said.Shall do as you suggest..probably safer.Best Wishes Barry

·
Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
704 Posts
Hi Barry, as the others have said, put your feet up and leave the physical work to us (not so) younger fettlers!

Apart from the safety issues in trying to do this job yourself, getting it wrong could result in catastrophic brake failure.

Please don't feel insulted by these suggestions. You have a wealth of knowledge in other areas which we enjoy sharing with you. As you know, this is a friendly community, so please feel free to ask about anything, and also to answer anything you know the answer to.

You appear to have a friendly relationship with your local mechanic, and I'm sure he would be happy to polish your pipes (safely) for you.

As always, take care.

Colin

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Barry, as the others have said, put your feet up and leave the physical work to us (not so) younger fettlers!

Apart from the safety issues in trying to do this job yourself, getting it wrong could result in catastrophic brake failure.

Please don't feel insulted by these suggestions. You have a wealth of knowledge in other areas which we enjoy sharing with you. As you know, this is a friendly community, so please feel free to ask about anything, and also to answer anything you know the answer to.

You appear to have a friendly relationship with your local mechanic, and I'm sure he would be happy to polish your pipes (safely) for you.

As always, take care.

Colin
H

As always, take care.

Coello Colin

As always, take care.

Colin
Hello Colin.Thank you for your sensible reply.You are of course right in what you say.The Forum is a friendly lot ,and helped me many times with my problems.I have appreciated all the help from many members/notably yourself.Best WishesColin Regards Barry

lin

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't take this the wrong way Barry but as GreenTrail above says ,if your asking questions like "How to get to the brake pipes" it's best to leave it to a garage ect to do these jobs for you .You have to know what your doing when taking wheels off and jacking vehicles up ,especially if you need to get underneath now and then ..You've probably got to a good age now by being pretty careful over your life but we just want to say that's all .
Hiya Col and Leaft]y.Thank you for your sensible message.You are both right in what you say,not offended in the least.Regards Barry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts