Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had a front wheel bearing replaced for the second time in just under 12 months, luckily the garage didn't charge me, the bearing had a 12 month warranty.
What they did say is, if it goes again the hub will need to be changed as there appears to be slight play.
Can anyone advise if it is a difficult job to change a front hub and how to change it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking on the ESM, it seems to be a bit complicated with special tools required.
I am looking to change a wheel bearing and am not sure if that is possible to do as an owner - any ideas or instructions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
started to disassemble the front o/s tonite.
removed wheel - ok
removed brake hose fixing and caliper - ok
removed disk - ok
slackened steering rack nut - ok
slackened shock attachments - ok
remove sensor bolt - snap :(
cant remove sensor either, so will have to disconect it from within the engine bay and pull all the cable through.
have left everything soaking in WD40 overnite.

have also noticed bottom ball joint cover is split - only replaced that last year. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rite - thats it :boxing:
carnt remove the speed sensor and (according to Nissan) it has to be removed prior to moving the knuckle, so its all been put back together and is at Nissans to do the job. :starwars: Saved myself £50 on the bearing tho and they are going to free the NS sensor as well, so at least I can do that side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
erm....
It now transpires that you CAN remove the knuckle with the speed sensor in position :( - so £158.63 (Plus bearing) later the job is done, however if you need to remove the knuckle with the speed sensor in position, you merely need to disconnect the sensor from within the engine bay and remove the cabling with the sensor and knuckle.
They didnt drill out the sensor clamp bolt as the sensor is siezed in - "it doesnt need one". Maybe a job for the future ;).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.