Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took receipt of my "new" (1yr old) X-Trail 2.0D Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 :biggrin: and boy the grin is ingrained on my face. The only down side which is Dealer related is the fact that they lost the Owners Manual and I'm still waiting for its replacement to arrive, as I'm unable to consult the booklet I thought I'd post the question here!

My 36mile route to work is on A and B roads and the occasional single track lane and having the X-Trail in 2WD mode I've managed a very respectable 41.5mpg. Now I know that I can answer my own question by switching to Auto and then monitoring the economy but does anyone know what if any would the difference be?

I've managed to figure out most of the sat nav and bluetooth stuff and can't wait to get my hands on the Owners Manual to learn more about my dream vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Bambus

G

·
I have my T31 owners handbook in front of me.

I have lifted this text pretty much word for word...

[4WD mode operations

2WD - front wheels driven - for driving on dry paved roads

AUTO - distribution of torque to the front and rear wheels changes automatically, depending on road conditions encountered. (ratio: 100:0(2WD) --> 50:50(4WD)). This results in improved driving stability - for driving on paved or slippery roads

LOCK - all 4 wheels driven - lock changes to auto when accelerating or speed exceeds 10km/h(6mph). LOCK will change to auto when the vehicle is driven at high speed. LOCK cancelled when ignition switch turned to OFF

CAUTION
Depending upon driving conditions, the 4WD mode may automatically change from 2WD to 4WD even when the 2WD mode is selected]

There does not appear to be anything in the handbook regarding fuel economy. The implication for AUTO mode is that you will be running in 2WD mode most of the time unless the road conditions/traction result in torque transfer to the rear wheels. To me, AUTO mode seems to function very similar to the transmission of something like a Freelander.

So, in theory driving a T31 in AUTO on dry tarmac with a decent surface should not be any less economical than 2WD........

I might test this myself at some point, but with only 632 miles on my 2 week old T31 so far there doesn't seem any point in worrying about fuel economy right now :biggrin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone, I'm coming to the end of my first week with the X-Trail and the economy in 2WD is very respectable for my style of driving 40.9mpg.

Next week (luckily for me) they are forecasting cold and wintery conditions so I'll try the week driving in AUTO mode and I'll post my results at the end of week.

On a plus side my Dealer has managed to order a replacement manual and I should have this by Saturday!!!

Cheers
Bambus

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well its more or less been a week of driving in Auto in nice snowy/ice/slushy conditions and I can happy report back that the X-Trail has averaged a very respectable 38mpg :biggrin:

Boy am I glad that I managed to persuade the wife to part-ex her Volvo V40 :bigcry: for the X-Trail :grin:

·
Registered
100 Posts
bambus said:
Thanks for the reply everyone, I'm coming to the end of my first week with the X

On a plus side my Dealer has managed to order a replacement manual and I should have this by Saturday!!!

Cheers
Bambus
Have you got your new manual now?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I got the manual thanks for asking. I'm just waiting for the dealership to pull their finger out and give me my spare Intelligent key..... :headbang:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't you just love them - before they have your money they can't give you enough of their time. When you parted with the cash you might as well be a pot plant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts