Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be very grateful for any help. My X trail has gone into limp mode, all the standard behaviour that many other posts describe - here and elsewhere on the internet. The fault codes that come up are P0089 plus 1273 (?? I think the latter is right). The engine malfunction light came on initially, but has gone off now. My local independent garage reckons on the usual suspect - fuel pressure regulator valve - but there is an element of guesswork there I think.

What I am trying to determine is whether the fuel pump has to be reset/learned after fitting this new part (or whatever the correct term is, I don't understand what this is). My local garage hadn't heard of this and says he's replaced the part on other x-trails, but all other posts seem to suggest that "learning" is necessary and is a dealer only job. Who is right? Am I OK to have it done locally or should I just go to a dealer?

Be very grateful for any suggestions and hear if anyone has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I do not know either. I searched the manual and it says that if to it manually then pump value is cleared also, when i quoted it then my post was deleted. Others say that only Nissan consult will do it, but i think a garage with AutoCom can do it too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've just posted this on another thread! Anyway, after we'd replaced our SCV I went to two dealers who said they didn't know about the relearning process! An autoelectrician I saw at the same time said I'd need a new fuel pump after he couldn't clear the fault. Anyway, not being one to give up easily I phoned another dealer, said I'd replaced the SCV and needed the relearn. They called it a reset or update on the phone but when my other half took it in and spoke to the bloke there they said it was a relearn. Anyway, whatever they call it, they knew what to do and did it! It's done a few thousand miles since and has been fine :cool:

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
hotandcold said:
Can anybody explain to me what this is please?

Please?
The pump has to be re calibrated with Nissan consult 2 computer software after changing the scv and your local garage sounds like they don't have it. If you look in the REPAIR section and take the time to read the posts you will see it needs to be done if you have the pump with the single scv.
Nissan are aware of this because they had a service bulletin for this fault.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did search the site (and elsewhere) and it only increased my confusion. I would have been oblivious and would have had it repaired by now if I hadn't read so many posts referring to learning/resetting (re-calibrating) at a Nissan dealer. I can't find a "REPAIRS" section either - do you mean "HOW TO'S"? There isn't anything in there.

The Nissan dealer want to run the diagnostics again and to start with the fuel filter, so this will add to the cost as the weight of evidence appears to be fuel pressure regulator (aka suction control valve??) and I'd prefer to maintain a good relationship with my normal garage. But I don't want to go ahead with them and then find afterwards that I have to take it to Nissan anyway. That's why I'm trying to find the definitive. I feel stuck and the X-Trail's been off the road for nearly a month now.

But thank you all anyway for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts