Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
look at the scottishoffroadclub website.

Never been off road with my xtrail not sure how good or bad it would be.

I have been off road with my other vehicles Touareg and Discovery

G

·
Hi Scotty.

I use my X-trail around Scotland. 90+% on road, but also on farms, and for scuba diving trips -accessing dive sites, towing and launching boats.
I've used it off road a fair bit, but you do need to be sensible - It's a great all-rounder, but will never be suitable for SERIOUS off roading, where a Range/Land Rover will excel. One problem is lack of low ratio, and first gear is quite high for thick mud/inclines ( I've cooked the clutch more than once!) The other is ground clearance. Again it's not bad, but will never be as good as a SWB landy.

It's big plus is that it is easy to live with as an everyday hack as well. Long trips on motorways are a doddle ( doesn't do as well on twisty bits though - I nearly made myself sick on the way up to Loch Katerine!) Also good round town- tidy enough to take the girlfriend out in, but with the seats flat makes a reasonable builders truck. I love mine.

Mad Dog

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Scottie,

Sounds like you are going to get to play in the muddy stuff, I hope you stocked up on cleaning products to give the xy a clean when you get home ;-)
I think as long as you are sensible in where you plan and don't try and over stretch too soon you should have plenty of fun offroading the xtrail. Once you have got a feeling for how it reacts to different gradients and terrains, you will be able to push a bit more. Not a true all out offroader as mad dog says, but a suv that is a lot of fun off tarmac.

My Finace and I are hoping to get up to Scotland maybe in the autumn, love the tree when the leaves change colour they seem to go on for miles in some places, so if you find any good spots off the beaten track let us know. Take some piccies if you can.

Jamie

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Ya

Xt's quite good off road, had mine in some difficult situations and both it and me coped ok, just have to read the lay of the land ahead and place the wheels carefully - don't drive in ruts as the control of steering is taken away and ruts can sometimes simply get tooooo deep no matter you drive. Also becareful with the XT when coming out of a hole as the bum hits abit early than expected (exhaust sits right where the rocks are!!!) If muddy then keep a reasonable rev range and don't slow or speed up, will easily wade 24 inch carefully (always check depth with wellies and stick-particually the surface bottom, is it firm or loose). And as with all 4x4's (no matter what sort) wet grassy inclines to be viewed as suspect - always the obstacle to catch drivers out.

Have Fun

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts