Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The government plans to change the law on car modification to make it difficult to do certain things without being penalised.
There is a consultation opened which closed on 22 November 2021 at 11:45pm, this has not been publicised for obvious reasons and in some ways can impact tuning packages that change the emissions of the car.

Read about it at

To fill in the consultation, the direct link is at

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wonder how they intend to enforce this when many performance-enhancing modifications are invisible these days. Also, how are they going to prove that the current owner carried them out? What happens to someone who has bought a car believing it to be standard, but which has been re-mapped by a previous owner who didn't inform them? I had a strong suspicion that this had been done to my previous car but I had no way of knowing. At one time you only had to lift the bonnet to see whether a car had been modified (twin-carburettors etc) but not anymore. Its all computer chips today.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they intend to enforce it maybe by police, roadside checks or within MOT somehow.
This could potentially hit people with DPF delete, engine tuning, possible lift kits, snorkels etc

I think it would be down to the owner, whether they changed it or not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well they intend to enforce it maybe by police, roadside checks or within MOT somehow.
This could potentially hit people with DPF delete, engine tuning, possible lift kits, snorkels etc

I think it would be down to the owner, whether they changed it or not.
That would hardly be fair really would it. Its not something people normally ask when they buy a car, and its not something you can see. My last car was a Hyundai Tucson 2 litre diesel automatic and it had way better acceleration than I would have expected. It would wheel-spin pulling away on a dry road if you gave it just a little too much, and the performance generally was much more lively than other similar cars. There was absolutely nothing obvious about it though so I had no way of knowing, and nobody had mentioned it when I bought it. Everything looked perfectly standard. I can't see how any road-side check could have told either. Without putting it on a rolling road or possibly using a diagnostic computer there would be no way of telling. I haven't seen a road-side spot check for years anyway, whereas they used to be quite regular. How would the police know what cars to stop? At one time things like wide wheels, lowered suspension, and straight-through exhausts were a give-away, but now a highly modified car can look bog-standard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts