Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi X-Trail People!

Just bought a 2004 T-Spec 2.5 X-Trail this weekend. Part ex'ed my Honda against it, lovley car but my ever growing family requires a bigger motor! Was a regular poster on the Civinfo forum so look forward to doing so on here. I have a few questions (as I know nothing about XTrails really) and would really appreciate some help.

1. My xtrail came with lights at the end of the roof rails. For the life of me I cannot get them to switch on. Can anyone help me with this? What button it is, is there anything I need to do to make them work? Maybe its the bulbs but again any help would be appreciated.

2. My Sat Nav is a bit old skool. Its out of date and not very clear to read (Disc number E0E 190R). My mate has a 2007 Navara in which the sat nav info seems better. Ive borrowed his SatNav disc (E0E 334R) but it doesnt register in mine. Is there anything I can do or need to do to make it work?

3. What does the O/D button on my auto lever do!?

Thanks guys, good to meet you all.

Matt

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Hi Matt, Welcome to the forum.
Re:Questions
1.These are your front fog lamps and should only be used in fog or off road driving and shouldn't be used in normal day & night driving or you'll find yourself with three points on your licence and a fine.
Fog lamp op.jpg

2. Please read the following thread.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1708

3.Please read the pdf file

View attachment 2005-Nissan-XTrail 148.pdf

Note: If you have difficulty viewing pdfs online, download and install the most current version of Acrobat Reader. Free Download available at http://www.adobe.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Matt - welcome to the forum.
The over-drive button on the gear shift is to allow you to drop down from over-drive to what is, in effect, 3rd gear. Say for example you are going up a long hill (or coming down one and want additional braking) or want to over take with a bit more oomph. You've also got kick-down - stamp on the loud pedal and you'll drop down to 2nd gear - good fun when you've got a Saxo or similar behind as they can't believe it :lol:
When you press the button the orange over-drive light will come on. For normal driving just leave it alone (light off) and you'll be fine.

Glad you got an X Trail (glad too to see another petrol member!) and safe driving.

Cheers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Another 2.5 petrol owner here. Just wanted to say that the 2.5 litre lends itself really nicely to running on LPG at vastly reduced fuel bills! Been running mine on 'cheapskate juice' for around four years.
Cheers,

·
Registered
209 Posts
As XT owners we are lucky. The price is always based on the number of cylinders and we have but four!

Depends on where you live, the kit you choose, who you have do it. I'd budget for £1100 and up. Four years ago I paid £1,600 but he's now charging £1300. Yet I just had my new N Note 1.6 converted for £791 in April. (Note 1.6 auto which is a four cyl engine too).

Couple of things to consider:-
Am I going to keep the car for at least three or four years.
Do I do over say 9K miles a year (or would I like to).
Is there a local LPG garage?
Do I mostly do long trips rather than a couple of miles?
Can I be sure I will never take the Eurotunnel preferring the Ferry.
Will it bother me carrying a can of tyre puncture repair foam instead of a spare or am I happy to have the spare in the luggage area.

If you can say YES to all of those (and you'd really like the half price motoring) then yes LPG is for you.

Here's details of the two installers in Essex and Hertfordshire that I've personally used and think are good.

http://www.essexlpg.net and http://www.pjcarsautogas.co.uk

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks for the info Ethan - but think I may stick with petrol. Having had a BMW with run flat tyres and therefore no spare this would put me off - I had to replace both rear tyres (£425.00) when I got a flat as they didn't have one to match mine -ended up taking the good tyre home in the boot. My run flats had a 150 mile range and I had done 150 miles on a flat - had 150 miles journey home to do so had to splash out. Sold the car a couple of months later and gave away the good tyre with the car as it was of no use to me. The guy who bought the car has probably got the tyre sitting in his garage now and wondering what he's going to do with it :lol:

Then of course I bought the X Trail and have had no problems since :smile:

Again, thanks for the info though. :thumbs:

·
Registered
209 Posts
No problem. In fact I carry a can of the foam and have the steel spare (clean new unused) in the 'boot' too. Except when I'm carrying two greyhounds there, then it lives on the back seat (in a bag). No brats so I never use the rear seats anyway.

I also have another Alloy spare too which resides in my Garage. In fact I've been rotating the wheels and having the 'alloy spare' re-furbed.

Range - The XT spare wheel space permits a toroidal tank which gives you a guaranteed 150 mile lpg range... more if your careful...but it's so cheap you just won't! Just requires more planning &/or download the autogas poi file into your satnav.
But I appreciate lpg isn't for everyone.

Incidentally I've been ditching the Grandtreks for Goodyear Wrangler's. Seem OK but I have my doubts about their longevity. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys

I really appreciate the responses and help - this site has proved an invaluable source of info already!

Some more noob questions which im sure youve covered hundreds of times but here goes:

What are the lumps on our lights for! They dont seem to serve much purpose.

What is going on with the armrest? Its awful, and have to contort my body in a weird position to rest my arm on it. Im a pretty big lad but still....especially as I opted for an auto, I would expect a well placed comfy armrest not one thats too low and way too far back!

Is there a retro fit option anyone knows about?

Thanks again Xtrail fans. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Matt.

The "lumps" on the headlights are, wait for it, so that you can see when your headlights are on from within the car -
I know, total waste of time as generally you know when they're on as you can see light on the road :lol:
They don't do anything else and I've already tried to find a way of getting lights in there - not a chance.

The arm rests are pretty useless as far too low and too far back. I will be posting a new one I've just made that may give you some ideas. There may be after-market ones out there but I'm too tight to spend the money on one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, so we can see our own lights are on eh? Genius thinking from the Techies @ Nissan! The luminated dash doesnt give it away at all does it :roll:

Ill look forward to seeing your bespoke arm rest Vandy, its so annoying that Im going to have to get it changed - I do a lot of miles so is well worth the effort methinks.

Final niggling question for you Xperts... Any advice where I can get an updated cheap Satnav disc? I know I can get it from a Nissan dealer but they are pretty pricey. Do you know if it updates not only the maps but the software too? I.E bigger clock and the 'thermometer' style count down on exiting junctions etc etc.

Thanks once again for your time on my questions.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Matt

as I said - the headlight "lumps" are very useful aren't they!

Arm rest photos will be posted tomorrow as I've still to take pics of it fitted. I'm 6'1'' and found the arm rest really annoying as it wasn't high enough. Would help though if the steering wheel had reach adjustment as well as rake then I could balance the differend between my arms and my legs. Falling short of some fairly drastic surgery I don't think I can do anything about that :lol: :lol:

Re: Sat Nav disc. You can get updated discs but (I'll probably be found to be wrong here?) but I don't think an updated disc would provide more features - I think this would need a software update that I don't think you can get. Should have been a politician really as I just won't comit myself will I?

Hopefully someone who does know what they're talking about will add to this post and give you the right answer. It's been a long day :bigcry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.