Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Please can someone help, My XT has developed a loud knockin grinding noise from the rear. Been on 4 poster and in gear to find noise from diff. My question is, are the rear drive shafts splittable so that i can remove prop and diff , leave the hub side of the shats on and run in 2 wheel drive whilst i get the diff rebuilt. Any help greatly appreciated. Andy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Andy,

I got your PM.

Sounds like the rear diff has had it and I've been in a similar situation but my rear diff was cooked as a result of spending too much time on the dyno while tuning my car :)

When I took it to Nissan to replace the diff and left it there for 2 days for them to fix, I asked them what they gonna do in terms of driving it, the mechanic said they will disengage the prop shaft going to the diff and will drive it in front wheel drive mode only without any problems. I am not sure however how safe and for how long driving with a disconnected shaft can be, so you might need to check that with the mechanic.

Also, there almost no point in re-building the rear diff, if you find metal in the diff oil, the gears will be busted, so it is much better to grab a second-hand one from a wrecker from any T30 model (they're all the same) and would probably cost as much as re-building the damaged one.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jalal.
Many thanks for your quick reply. Its pretty much as i thought, its just that disconnecting the propshaft is what i had planned, but i guessed that the rear diff would still be turning, therefore making the horrid knocking and grinding. I had still hoped to get the diff out even if i have to source a second hand one instead of rebuilding, so i would need to disconnect the propshafts. If they are splitable at the hub end, great, they can be bolted back in place and all should be well. If not, i may have to have them cut which means more expense when putting the diff back in if you see what i mean. Think i might just have to take a look and see.
Many thanks again.
Andy.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Sherwood Forester said:
Hi Andy, have a look at your pm messages inbox I've sent you some info on the Diff also here are the Part No's.
Left click mouse on jpeg file to open
Differential Part No.jpg

Differential Part No 384204N200 Alternate Part No 38420CA000.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Umbongo.
Many thanks for that. I think the uj on my propshaft diff end is notchy too, i might see if he has any more of those. I'll hang on to the diff info for the near future, but first I have the brakes to overhaul and do a little work on the LPG system. I might just run it in 2WD mode for a while and see what effect it has on the MPG before i sort the diff. I'd also be interested to know how the chair lift converters deal with the diff lock panel etc as my 4wd light stays on now the diffs out.
Thanks again.
Andy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.