Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined, I’ve been lurking hoping the registration would reopen. So well done, and I like the revamp.

I’ve a 2013 T-31 diesel. We did look at at T-30 fifteen or so years ago but it was too expensive then, but my wife has always recalled the great sunroof. 😎. Over the years I’ve become a Mercedes man, so when I was looking for a diesel to return to my occasional commute in my search parameters were quite narrow.

Until of course, SWMBO put her foot down, and said we should get a manual 4x4 as it would “do things” the others can’t. So I bought a low mileage t-31.

It’s got some problems but nothing that can’t be worked though.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

At the moment it’s turbo is whistling, and the underside looks like it’s been rallied across a gravel track - the rails are quite pockmarked. So at some point it will have a new turbo (soon), and going on some ramps to be cleaned and rust proofed (end of the month).

it’s quite nippy up to about 80mph which was a big if pleasant surprise - is there anyway I can tell if it’s been chipped or had an oversize turbo?

As for doing things the other cars can’t…. Well the load space is phenomenal, and it takes her to wild swimming places she can’t get to otherwise so I guess it’s win in the first month.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi, just joined, I’ve been lurking hoping the registration would reopen. So well done, and I like the revamp.

I’ve a 2013 T-31 diesel. We did look at at T-30 fifteen or so years ago but it was too expensive then, but my wife has always recalled the great sunroof. 😎. Over the years I’ve become a Mercedes man, so when I was looking for a diesel to return to my occasional commute in my search parameters were quite narrow.

Until of course, SWMBO put her foot down, and said we should get a manual 4x4 as it would “do things” the others can’t. So I bought a low mileage t-31.

It’s got some problems but nothing that can’t be worked though.

View attachment 36188

At the moment it’s turbo is whistling, and the underside looks like it’s been rallied across a gravel track - the rails are quite pockmarked. So at some point it will have a new turbo (soon), and going on some ramps to be cleaned and rust proofed (end of the month).

it’s quite nippy up to about 80mph which was a big if pleasant surprise - is there anyway I can tell if it’s been chipped or had an oversize turbo?

As for doing things the other cars can’t…. Well the load space is phenomenal, and it takes her to wild swimming places she can’t get to otherwise so I guess it’s win in the first month.
Welcome and nice car.

I have a 2011 T31 Facelift Tekna. Yours btw is a Facelift Tekna - spotted with 18" wheels and the main beam lense dipping into bumper.

They do go well and are quicker than some folk think so I would suggest you're still on 173hp with 360 Nm of torque which is pretty good but I went one step further and had Celtic tune done so i now have 221hp and 410 Nm. It pulls incredibly well and pulls very quickly into uhum 3 figures with ease - gets Audi's off your tail :) . It also helps on fuel economy as you don't need to change down so often to overtake etc. I average around at 44mpg and it will go above 50 on a run. The facelift has better econmy than the pre-facelift; Nissan did quite a few things to help. Unless turbo whistle is loud I wouldn't be worried as mine does make a slight whistle when cold and mine is original on 185k - just do correct oil changes with good quality all - loads of info on this site.

Have a good look at front sub-frame for wear on the 4 bushes - if no good simply get subrame changed - part is around £185 and a lot cheaper labour wise than replacing simply the bushes. My engine is wonderful and quiet. Make sure you swap wheels front to back and vice versa every 3k miles keeping tyre wear equal or you'll upset the 4WD system. Don't know your mileage but if high I'd suggest changing oil in gearbox, transfer box and rear diff. Easy and quick to do but worth it.

These cars are very understated on abilities. I used mine to tow a builders van of a slippery muddy hil on a site last winter. Didn't even have to use diff lock! Unless tyres are new I'd recommend all seasons to give that confidence in bad weather and grip in the cold.

Enjoy it. I came from years of Saab and spent ages looking for a genuine Saab 9-3X estate (only petrol came in 4WD) and ended up with this nearly 3 years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and nice car.
Thank you Jim, mileage on mine is quite low at 56k, I’m pretty certain it’s been a farm vehicle. I actually quite like it - I’ve had Grand Jeeps and Ford Explorers in the past so there is a pattern of sorts. Tyres are newish but it will go all season eventually.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you Jim, mileage on mine is quite low at 56k, I’m pretty certain it’s been a farm vehicle. I actually quite like it - I’ve had Grand Jeeps and Ford Explorers in the past so there is a pattern of sorts. Tyres are newish but it will go all season eventually.
Mine was owned by an arboricultural consultant so obviously had been offroad quite a few times but without any damage - underside seems ok and sump guard obviusly doing it's job. It had a mixed bag of servicing but has lasted well. Bodywork has a few scratches here and there and silly things like drivers door handle cracked but everything works and 'touch wood' has never let me down - EML come on a few times for various reasons but never been in limp mode. Interestingly I have never had the DPF light come on and I run cheapest supermarket fuel without problem with just occassionally putting an injector/engine cleaner through. Doesn't use the slightest drop of oil. The only real thing I have done is replace the shocks all round and some bushes but otherwise not too bad compared to my money pit Saabs (but they were all rocketships and made me smile). Just one thing to keep eyes on and that's rear brakes. Several folk say they have problems but if you keep ontop of maintenance then all will be fine - sliders seem to jam up a bit and handbrake shoes need frequent adjustment but all normal maintenance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi, I am picking up my '13 T31 n-tec+ tomorrow. After 3 buy new run' til they drop cars I am back in the "new to me camp". 😁
Only ever had one brand new car since I passed my test in 1974!!! Never again scared daylights out of me looking for scratches and watching mileage go up :(

I tend to buy higher mileage well looked after cars. This X Trail sat there for several weeks as at the time being only just over 7 years old it had 154k miles on it. MOT's seemed ok but a few advisories on the latest. I didn't view it in person but negotiated price with garage doing all the advisories so clear MOT and it arrived on car transporter. Bodywork wasn't quite as good as expected but no damaged panels etc. Only issue on delivery (Dec) was wipers suddenly stopped as it came off lorry and small crack at bottom of windscreen. Immediately got on phone to garage and he paid for replacement wiper motor £235 and replacement windscreen :) The car has now done 185k (31k since Dec 2018).

I hadn't intended to buy an X Trail as i loved my Saab 9-3 Aero TTiD (180hp very fast diesel) but as my black lab grew bigger it became clear there wasn't quite the headroom for him on long journeys so ended up with this one which is humungus in back even without floor trays removed. The picture was the day it came. Roof bars came off straightaway!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only ever had one brand new car since I passed my test in 1974!!! Never again scared daylights out of me looking for scratches and watching mileage go up :(

I tend to buy higher mileage well looked after cars. This X Trail sat there for several weeks as at the time being only just over 7 years old it had 154k miles on it. MOT's seemed ok but a few advisories on the latest. I didn't view it in person but negotiated price with garage doing all the advisories so clear MOT and it arrived on car transporter. Bodywork wasn't quite as good as expected but no damaged panels etc. Only issue on delivery (Dec) was wipers suddenly stopped as it came off lorry and small crack at bottom of windscreen. Immediately got on phone to garage and he paid for replacement wiper motor £235 and replacement windscreen :) The car has now done 185k (31k since Dec 2018).

I hadn't intended to buy an X Trail as i loved my Saab 9-3 Aero TTiD (180hp very fast diesel) but as my black lab grew bigger it became clear there wasn't quite the headroom for him on long journeys so ended up with this one which is humungus in back even without floor trays removed. The picture was the day it came. Roof bars came off straightaway!
Looks great Jim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts