Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the Handbrake on a 55 Plate Mk 2 or is it better to take it to a Garage? Thanks.

Harry

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm after this info too. The garage is a 60 mile round trip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum but could do with an answer to this question myself. I have just bought the wife an '03 2.0i and the handbreak on it is ****. I would really like to have a go at sorting it before MOT is due rather than pay a garage for something that may be a simple job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
I wanted to adjust my handbrake (2003 X-Trail Sport) so I looked on various forums and didn't find any particularly useful info so... I jacked the car up, removed a rear wheel and then the calliper. Each calliper is held on by two (tight) 19mm bolts (which came out with a lot of rust and muck so they need a quick whiz with a wire brush and then I WD40'd them and wiped some grease on the threads - don't lose the washers). With the calliper out of the way the disk pulls straight off (but it needs a bit of wiggling). And now the handbrake brake shoes are exposed... and at the bottom pivot is the adjuster. The adjuster is a sort of toothed wheel so it is fairly obvious. I wound the adjuster up one click on each side and put every thing back together in reverse order. My wife, whose car it is, says the handbrake now feels tighter. Total time for job (both wheels) was about 40 minutes. The torque for the wheel nuts is apparently 110 nm. I should have explained that the handbrake is a drum brake incorporated into the casting of the rear disks and the handbrake has no effect on the rear disk brakes or their callipers. I couldn't see any cable adjustment where they go into the drums and I have no idea how the cable is connected to the handbrake lever.
Hope that was helpful.
Titus

·
Registered
385 Posts
there's a little access hole through your disk no need to take caliper and disk off ... there's a little rubber gromit innit just remove and turn adjuster with screwdriver ... just need to try each way till it tightens! ;-)

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Titus said:
Hi All,
I wanted to adjust my handbrake (2003 X-Trail Sport) so I looked on various forums and didn't find any particularly useful info so... I jacked the car up, removed a rear wheel and then the calliper. Each calliper is held on by two (tight) 19mm bolts (which came out with a lot of rust and muck so they need a quick whiz with a wire brush and then I WD40'd them and wiped some grease on the threads - don't lose the washers). With the calliper out of the way the disk pulls straight off (but it needs a bit of wiggling). And now the handbrake brake shoes are exposed... and at the bottom pivot is the adjuster. The adjuster is a sort of toothed wheel so it is fairly obvious. I wound the adjuster up one click on each side and put every thing back together in reverse order. My wife, whose car it is, says the handbrake now feels tighter. Total time for job (both wheels) was about 40 minutes. The torque for the wheel nuts is apparently 110 nm. I should have explained that the handbrake is a drum brake incorporated into the casting of the rear disks and the handbrake has no effect on the rear disk brakes or their callipers. I couldn't see any cable adjustment where they go into the drums and I have no idea how the cable is connected to the handbrake lever.
Hope that was helpful.
Titus
Hi Titus, welcome to the forum. Click on the link below for the Parking brake ▼
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3950

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow - thanks for the drawing! Also, I found that rubber gromit and I realise that if you turn the drum it should ultimately line up with the adjuster but... when I was prodding the rubber gromit it fell off and went inside the drum - so I thought I ought to get it out again! However, all understood. The other advantage to removing the drum was the ton of dust I cleared out.

Anyway, this looks like a pretty good forum, thank you for the welcome and see you all at the next problem. (Actually I will be back at sea in a few weeks (for 4 or 5 months) so see you all when ever).

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi, i tried to click on the link to the thread but it didn't work

i wondered do you really have to undo the nut on the handbrake or can you just release it and then tighten 1 click as a time from the hub!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, I'm been a member of this site for a while now and constantly get help from so many people with the maintenance of my X-Trail.

I just want to thank all for their great knowledge and assistance which has helped me so much over the past year. The tightening of the handbrake was a doddle, had I not seen the advice about taking the rubber gromets out, I think I'd have been a bit lost. The job was so simple. I also think that the X-Trail is one of the easiest cars to work on ............... so far that is!

Many thanks to you all.

Chris

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello jonnyb1,

There is some adjustment on the handbrake lever - I think this adjusts the cable only :biggrin: ; however, as JW65 says you need to remove the rear wheels to access the adjustment on the parking brake shoes. :thumbs:

This may help you... Details for a T30 2005. :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3950

Best wishes, John

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks to everyone for help with this.I adjusted the brakes as per told to do and perfectos.The problem i see with people who do,nt read about adjustment on this forum is that the rubber bung looks like metal and has a screwdriver type slot .and so it can be pushed in easy.No problem for me ....but.
Anyway, handbrake is excellent now.
Many thanks...Colin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts