Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies Mods that I originally posted this in the wrong forum - please feel free to delete :)

2006 2.2 dci

So I am driving along fine & stop at a supermarket for 10 minutes. When I drive off I have hugely reduced power. I have to drive with my foot flat on the floor barely managing 30 mph. There is no turbo wine & no smoke. After around 20 minutes I park & start researching the cost of a turbo. Dreading the one hour drive home I plan a route avoiding hills.

I leave 6 hours later & the car is perfect all the way home, not a sign of a problem.

So what happened & will it happen again ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Most probably required an ECU reboot. I have had my T30 2.2 for 4 years now. Last year when in the overtaking lane on the southbound A1 albeit in slow moving traffic, I too suffered a power loss when the lane started to move on. I was able to move over to the nearside lade and pull into a convenient layby. Power was still not present. So I decided to turn off and restart. Power was resumed and I have not had a repeat episode to date. (Possibly famous last words).

·
Registered
08' T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
748 Posts
Worth just giving the MAF a clean and do a fuel pump ECU re-set after (Print off a copy of the re-set and keep in the car as can help you out of trouble if "limp mode" happens .Have a search on this forum as it's written down somewhere and easy to do). As above SCV might be playing up a little and letting you know it's a bit tired too. Could be a host of things.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. It definitely felt like a fuel blockage. I had my foot flat on the floor & the engine was struggling to rev. Could the fuel filter get temporarily blocked ? Is there a way to use OBD to identify it ?

·
Registered
08' T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
748 Posts
Does anyone know if the reset procedure shown for the Navarra etc works on a T30 ?
To carry out the reset carry out the following

Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

with foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

the Xtrail is now in diag mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. the press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds..this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc......and put them into learning mode.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Xtrail without getting the dealer to do it!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Xtrail without getting the dealer to do it!!
The codes are always 4 digits.
Each digit is a series of flashes, 1=1, 2=2 ... 9=9, 10=0
The first digit is a series of longer flashes.
The second, third and fourth digits are a series of shorter flashes.
There is a longer pause between each digit.
If there is more than one fault code then they are signaled after each other, with a long pause between, each code starting with the series of longer flashes for the first digit.
Once you see the first code repeated there are no more codes to repeat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The codes are always 4 digits.
Each digit is a series of flashes, 1=1, 2=2 ... 9=9, 10=0
The first digit is a series of longer flashes.
The second, third and fourth digits are a series of shorter flashes.
There is a longer pause between each digit.
If there is more than one fault code then they are signaled after each other, with a long pause between, each code starting with the series of longer flashes for the first digit.
Once you see the first code repeated there are no more codes to repeat.
Sounds like a good idea to video record the flashes

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this problem and a few things sorted it out for me.

First time:

• Replaced the stock crimped intercooler with a welded one. No more oil or pressure leaks.
  • Cleaned the entire intake system. New air filter and cleaned out the air box and catch screen therein which was 1/2 clogged, then seriously cleaned out the Mass Airflow Sensor with contact cleaner. Amazing how much oily muck came out of it.
  • Installed an oil trap canister with some steel wool inside between the valve cover and intake hose (my original turbo is still kicking at 288,000 Km and it's amazing how much oil the canister collects between oil changes).
  • cleaned out all intake and intercooler hoses and replaced the EGR valve (Blueprint brand) which was triggering the check engine light intermittently. I would have to stop, shut down, then restart the engine which would clear the light for a while. When it came back on, loss of power. EGR.

All of this solved my power loss for quite a while.

Second time:

I would put the gas peddle down to pass other vehicles out on country roads. Suddenly the truck would lose power, in a jerking manner. If I let off the gas, it would kick back in, add gas again and it would start cutting again. I had to hit the brakes a few times and fall back behind the vehicle in front of me because I couldn't pass.

- Changed the fuel filter - Problem rectified.

Haven't had a power loss issue since. Now, every oil change ( about 7000 Km) I clean-out the entire intake system, Mass Air Flow sensor and oil traps. Keep it clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.