Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi XT friends.

2 months into X Trail ownership, and im more than happy (bar a minor bent spark plug issue).

The one main thing that bugs me (other than the worlds worst armrest) is the headrest. Apologies if this has been covered before but here goes: whatever postion I put the back of my seat into - my head seems to be a long way away from the headrest. Not only did I used to like to rest my head on the headrest whilst driving in other vehicles Ive owned but should I get a rear end shunt (ahem) then Im assuming this puts me at greater risk of whiplash!

Im 6ft 2 with quite a long back, so im assuming this is part of the problem - so am just wondering if anyone else has suffered the same issue....or if any one has any solotions? Ive checked out flea bay for alternative headrests (that pivot forward, unlike my T30 Xtrail) but none seem to fit.

As always any help is welcome.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
We don't talk about the arm rest here :lol:
Re: headrest - there is only up/down adjustment and no forward adjustment on the headrests as these are "active headrests" They're designed to absorb your head when you get rear-ended (think there is a probably a more technical explanation than this) by moving forward when the seat is going backwards on impact.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I could not tell it better myself...

The Technical Explanation... About how it works: in the chair is a special movable frame. When you have a collission and your body goes after the impact backwards again (Action is reaction) the impact your body makes against the chair, makes the frame moves backwards. This results in a forward moving headrest. Therefore the name Headrest is a very wrong name. Better call it a head injury limiting instrument or so... That's where its ment for. Therefore it's important, that the top of rest is not higher than the top of your ears. Look around you and seen, how many are very wrong adjusted...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Wimbo.
Not picking you up here but have just had a quick read of the manual and it says the centre of the headrest should be level with your ears, not the top of the headrest.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Okay, when they say so. Alright with me, but the reason of adjusting is, that the head will not forced to go too far back after a collission. A bit higher will do no further harm I guess. Headrests come in many models and shape. Sometimes you can nod them, bow them, heat them, ventilate them...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Take your point Wimbo. As you said before, they really should not be called headrests, rather head restraints, as they are a safety feature not a comfort accessory.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All quite correct , but the main point being that the driver's head is not meant to be rested whilst driving as it would encourage drowsiness with possible nasty consequences. :bigcry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.