Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Not been on for a couple of week's, I have been to sunny Spain. We flew this time but in summer I will be taking the car. What I need to know is, my headlights will obviously need altering, they are zenon's so has anyone had to do this? Or does anyone know the precedure?

·
Registered
28 Posts
All you need is the headlamp beam deflectors, Halfords do them.

Have a quick read on Spanish traffic laws also as there are some things we Brits tend to fall foul off which earns a bit of pocket money for the cops.

Did you know, you must drive with headlamps on through tunnels ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just made enquiries and your right, it is just headlamp reflectors! I knew you had to drive through tunnels with the headlights on but thanks anyway :biggrin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told yesterday by someone who drives around Europe a lot that the French police can be a bit OTT, especially towards the British.

·
Registered
28 Posts
crazyhazy said:
I was told yesterday by someone who drives around Europe a lot that the French police can be a bit OTT, especially towards the British.
Yes, but I think a lot of Brit drivers bring it on themselves.

You watch how many dont have beam convertors on, drive like lunatics and have a general disregard for the laws of that country.

I have never been stopped by the French Police and I holiday there every year.

One thing to watch on toll routes, I have heard of the Police pulling motorists over at a Toll booth and asking for your ticket, the ticket tells them where you came on the toll road and at what time, then a bit of mental arithmetic tells them what speed you must have been doing to get to them.

Voila a speeding fine :sad:

Driving in France is an absolute pleasure though, beautifull roads, well signposted and not that busy.

The run from Calais down to the south is fantastic with some breathtaking scenery. Turn right at the Med and come down through Spain, (costa brava) try and stop at Barcelona, well worth a visit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure for France (but I think it is just for the driver) In Spain every occupant must have a high-vis vest.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I believe Spain requires 2 warning triangles, and you can get fined on the spot for not having a triangle and hi viz in France.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 triangles in Spain is correct. Not sure about France, there are a few websites about driving abroad but some differ with the info, I will take six of everything :biggrin:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I managed to find a pair of LHD headlamps on ebay, so whenever I go on a euro-holiday, I just fit them. Yes they are HID and yes they were a bargain!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The AA website usually has up to date info about what is needed for european travel.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... untry.html

I think Spain requires a spare pair of prescription glasses (if required) to be carried, it is well worth checking the fine detailslike that pre-travel.

W're holidayed in france at least once, if not twice a year for the last 8 years, and never had any problems. They rely on many more manned speed traps on autoroutes which will then have you stopped at the next peage.

British drivers tend to have less lane sense that european drivers, and drive too fast on the autoroutes, just becuase france has a 130kmh limit on peage means a lot of UKplated cars driver closer to 150kmh! But then they drift to close to the nearside lane, meaning some hairy moments when they buss your passenger side mirror!The autoroute from Calais is notorious (Autoroute des Anglais!) for dodgy UK drivers, and at some point a caravan will be on its side as france doesn't have a 60mph or equivalent limit, apart from downhill stretches, which can be longer & steeper than expected.

·
Registered
186 Posts
HI, BEAM BENDERS WORK WELL.THE HI-VIS VEST IS A MUST IN FRANCE FOR ALL IN THE CAR IF YOU HAVE TO GET OUT ONTO THE HARD SHOULDER. BIG FINE IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT THEM. THE POLICE ARE OK BEEN GOING OVER THERE FOR 13YRS AND NO PROBS. THE LOCALS ARE A BIT MAD BUT JUST LET THEM PAST AND THAY WILL THANK YOU.SOME BRITS BRING IT ON THEM. THE WAY THAY DRIVE . SERVICES IN FRANCE ARE FAB... FREE PARKING AND MAKES THE UK LOOK LIKE A 3RD WORLD PLACE....LPG ON EVERY SERVICE AND NOT A SIGN OF RIP OFF UK ANY WHERE. USE YOUR HEAD AND DRIVE SAFE. THE ROADS ARE. F.A.B ENJOY AND BE SAFE...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do a search on Google.....
Am I missing the point here, or is the point of forums to provide each other with information, and err let me see, swap information?
Might as well close all forums and basically from now on 'Do a search on Google' everyone!!
:headbang:

·
Registered
28 Posts
crazyhazy said:
Am I missing the point here, or is the point of forums to provide each other with information, and err let me see, swap information?
Might as well close all forums and basically from now on 'Do a search on Google' everyone!!
And breathe.................

Beam benders, Beam deflectors all the same mate.

Different names for the same technology.

Its a bit misleading as they dont bend or deflect but rather block the offending beam pointing to the left side of the road. The biggest problem with them is, certainly in France, if you are travelling anywhere out of town there are none or not very many cats eyes and street lamps are few and far between so losing a portion of your headlamp beam is a bit un-nerving late at night. :eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
IF YOU COME OVER LIKE THAT WHEN SOMEONE GIVES GOOD ADVICE TO OTHERS WHO HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS , YOU MAY AS WELL SELL YOUR COMPUTER AND GO AND BUY A PIGEON .....GOOGLE IS GOOD FOR WHEN SOMEONE HAS INFORMATION BUT CANNOT QUITE UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PRODUCT IS ..... SO TAKE YOUR LAPTOP AND STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DOES NOT SHINE......... HOPE THIS IS OF HELP TO OTHERS AND NOT YOU...LOL.......
crazyhazy said:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts