Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yet another call from my dealer,it appears they have now discovered that the heat deflector shield has been damaged by "me",another £250 on top of the £250 for the discs and brakes.they said they would not of noticed the heat shield problem but for the fact they are in the process of dropping the fuel tank regarding the recall concerning the fuel seal.expensive day,service £310,brakes £250 and shield £250,ish...i feel worse than a labour councillor at the moment...

·
Registered
8 Posts
How much !!!£250??? I went to my Nissan dealer recently and a new heatshield (For above rear exhaust box) was £35. He gave me 3 new nuts and 3 large washers to cover the corroded holes in the old heatshield. With these I bolted it back on !! Cost ..nothing and a lot of goodwill from my local dealer. I think someone is on the fiddle at your dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
***? I have a qashqai at the moment so not the same car, but I had the same deal with the exhaust heat shield which apparently I damaged (ok - so I do take it off road from time to time) - they just pulled it off and said not to worry about it - it would only rust and eventually drop off anyway....

·
Registered
31 Posts
This appears to be yet another common problem, mine came loose yesterday after council road cones forced me into a flood about 12" deep an about 40' long, the cones were only there so they could cut the grass verges, it was torrential downpour so no grass cutting got done, waste of time but that's another matter! Anyway guys do I get it fixed or just remove it, its resting on the exhaust and you can imagine the rattling noise and concerned views from other motorist when I'm idling.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
you wont need a new heat shield... 3 penny washers (about 30p in total) will resolve any corrosion issues where the fixings are... and a new one is just over £30+vat direct from Nissan.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
kirky said:
This appears to be yet another common problem, mine came loose yesterday after council road cones forced me into a flood about 12" deep an about 40' long, the cones were only there so they could cut the grass verges, it was torrential downpour so no grass cutting got done, waste of time but that's another matter! Anyway guys do I get it fixed or just remove it, its resting on the exhaust and you can imagine the rattling noise and concerned views from other motorist when I'm idling.

Dave.
The council caused it - they should pay for it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I paid £30-ish for my heat shield 2 years ago... this was before reading about the penny washer thing :headbang:
£250 is an absolute rip-off... they're taking you for a ride if that's what they're trying to charge you. Is that just for the front pads and discs £250... even that's a p**s take. Get them done at Kwik-Fit, they give you a lifetime warranty on the pads... so as long as you own the X-Trail, you'll never have to pay for pads again!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I thought my silencer baffles had ' gone ', but it was the heat shield loose.
Made some 'big-head' washers and re-fitted it .
Had to drill the boot as two pins were u/s
It ain't rocket science !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Removed it. It was still connected at one end, the other 3 bolts are rusted , sprayed them with WD40 to no avail, so just managed to loosen the one end and take it off. The gap between exhaust and car is about 5" so there is loads of airflow around it so can't forsee any heat related issues.

Dave.

·
Registered
166 Posts
kirky said:
Removed it. It was still connected at one end, the other 3 bolts are rusted , sprayed them with WD40 to no avail, so just managed to loosen the one end and take it off. The gap between exhaust and car is about 5" so there is loads of airflow around it so can't forsee any heat related issues.

Dave.
I've just been out to have a look at mine. The gap between exhaust backbox and underside of car (bit where the spare wheel lives) is small enough that I can't get my little finger into it.

Looks like someone's done the penny washer thing already. That's what I was going to do. But now I see there's 2 penny washers bolted to the car and 2 penny washer sized holes in the loose heatshield.

[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.