Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

I already have a small problem with my new X Trail :confused:

The heater/fan/blower motor that is situated in the passenger footwell is very noisy when you turn right in the car. When you turn left it seems to go away which is weird!? The noise is not affected by any of the fan settings apart from turning them off as this stops the noise.

I assume that the motor is on its way out and am wondering how hard it is to remove/replace and where I can get the part from (apart from Nissan of course)

thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had this problem on my old 53 2.2 Di. It is the heater fan bearings that are shot. I went on the internet to

http://www.247spares.co.uk/nissan/x-trail

and found a used heater for £95. I paid my local garage £60 to fit it, or if you have facilities could do it yourself. The part came off an Xtrail scrapped at 34k miles, and this was a great inexpensive way of repairing this fault since Nissan wanted about £400 to do the job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I could have done it but no longer have the tools and facilities, but I would think it was a relatively simple task for an experienced home mechanic. On the website, if you put in the registration number the firms that quote will use it to make sure of the version you require, but I would appreciate that there is still a slight risk, worth taking compared with the new cost. One piece of advice would be once you have placed your request, don't respond to any hard sell offers you get by phone, but to wait 24 hours till all the email quotes are in, so you have all the info and prices to compare.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
If it's only the Heater Blower motor that has gone then you won't need a complete Heater Unit just the blower motor. The Heater Blower motor is a good job for the d.i.y mechanic to replace, but it will involve removing the complete heater case unit first to gain access to the motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tommitchelldrum said:
Hello All.

I already have a small problem with my new X Trail :confused:

The heater/fan/blower motor that is situated in the passenger footwell is very noisy when you turn right in the car. When you turn left it seems to go away which is weird!? The noise is not affected by any of the fan settings apart from turning them off as this stops the noise.

I assume that the motor is on its way out and am wondering how hard it is to remove/replace and where I can get the part from (apart from Nissan of course)

thanks for the help in advance.
Well theres a surprise - sorry, Newbie here just joined and had vehicle for 2 days - just experienced this tonight, gotta say I like the vehicle and hopefully not to many issues need to be aware of. Ive paid extra warranty that increases the term and its with W M S however just read exclusion condition - does not cover wear and tear - oh sh**t - guess recall to garage as dont think should expect to pay out just after 2 days

·
Registered
28 Posts
yottie60 said:
I had this problem on my old 53 2.2 Di. It is the heater fan bearings that are shot. I went on the internet to

http://www.247spares.co.uk/nissan/x-trail

and found a used heater for £95. I paid my local garage £60 to fit it, or if you have facilities could do it yourself. The part came off an Xtrail scrapped at 34k miles, and this was a great inexpensive way of repairing this fault since Nissan wanted about £400 to do the job.
I mean the blower unit - plastic housing like a snail shell with fan and motor in the middle - about 40 or 50 cm diamater and 15 or 20 deep. I more recently saw the electric motor which fits to the existing blower for sale on eBay which would be even cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 07 fan unit was changed under waranty in Jan this year. It made an awful screeching noise and the only way to stop it was to turn the fan off. It didn't do it all the time and every time I took back to Harratts Wakefield it would not do it. They kept it for a day and thankfully it did it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi guys

just to put in my tuppence worth here, same car 2003 di sport noisy fan when turning left. i can see the posts which are extremely useful (Again :thumbs: ) just to confirm the actual part to replace it isn't the entire heat unit but just the blower?

thanks again, i'll eventually get through my jobs list, can't say for sure if this'll work as i am away form home at the moment but will leave some feedback when its done ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi

Just joined the forum great site with a lot of helpful tips.

As previously mentioned i got my 06 dci Aventura with 54,000 miles on 21/6 I took it on an 80 mile round trip yesterday and

noticed also a droning noise coming from the fan/blower this also happens when I make right turns. Took it over to the

dealer and got him to go round a roundabout a couple of times and thankfully (I guess) it made the same noise. looks like a

common problem. Car is now booked in for repair. Besides this i love the car, hopefully just a minor glitch! :bow:

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
old thread, i know, but i have the same problem, does anyone actually have any notes/guides on how to change out the unit. Is there a wiki here for jobs/repairs/fixes etc like the guys over at fordmondeo.org used to have??

Cheers

Adie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep same problem

57 plate warranty run out in september

How much do nissan charge to repair?
Any ony out there help my garage said it was the bearing but couldnt or wouldnt fix it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep I have the same issue. Intermitent significant fan noise at any fan speed except max. It is possible to eliminate the noise (sometimes only briefly) by turning fan to max and it then smooths out.

I recently bought the car and when I test drove it the problem did not materialise. In fairness the (private) owner mentioned it and had a new fan blower unit fitted (N272300M000 cost £42.62 +Vat) when having it serviced before I bought it. This was on the Nissan garage's recommendation as they thought it was a worn fan bearing.

However, the problem still arises, although it has become less frequent after 1,500 miles. Can be triggered by hitting a rut or sometimes when turning or sometimes just starts. My feeling is that it is a reasonance being set up in the casing /bodywork and when it's warmer, and I have more time, I will investigate and report back.

Neal

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I did the bearing fix today and it was fairly simple, it took around 2-3 hours all in (with a couple of coffee breaks and OCD cleaning of parts). I cannot really add much more to what's already been said, aside from for me the hardest part was re-installing the system in the tight space, it was not too bad but just a little fiddly. I used 689zz 9x17x5mm bearings and a couple of 8mm washers to act as spacers if needed. I also found that when getting the bearings on it was very easy to apply to much pressure to the bearing casing causing it to fail, luckily I had one spare although I guess worst case if you do this you could service/clean and grease the part already in situation as a temporary fix.

Sam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.