Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 X-Trail Sport TD, the heater has developed an annoying noise which tends to come on when I go round a left hand bend. To get rid of it I have to turn the heater off and back on, I think it sounds like the fan is sticking. My question is how difficult is it to remove the heater or fan mechanism and has anyone else come accross this noise on their X-Trail?

:headbang:
Martin Parkes.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally did it and not as bad as I thought. Stripping the heater unit was also easy but managed to break most of the plastic clips!! Getting the heater back in was slightly more difficult but still worth it. Managed to pick up a 2nd hand motor for a £100 which was a lot less than £306 + vat for a brand new one from a dealer. Oh the joy of air conn and silent running. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
pubcrawler said:
Finally did it and not as bad as I thought. Stripping the heater unit was also easy but managed to break most of the plastic clips!! Getting the heater back in was slightly more difficult but still worth it. Managed to pick up a 2nd hand motor for a £100 which was a lot less than £306 + vat for a brand new one from a dealer. Oh the joy of air conn and silent running. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Well Done, did you take any
pubcrawler while doing the work and if you did could you not post them up to help other members should their heater motor need to be replaced.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only 3 photo's taken but hope they will help. After disconnecting the battery it is important to move the ECU and associated brackets out of the way, the heater unit will then come out (eventually) after slightly moving it to the left and down. Putting it back is slightly more fiddling, don't worry about breaking the clips when splitting the fan housing as chrome screws hold it all together anyway. The fan motor is a tight push fit in the housing and I got it out by clamping the spindle in the vice and using the housing as a lever to pull it out. A slight spray with WD40 helped the new motor go in. :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Raw said:
The heater fan unit on 2005 2.2 dci is grumbling, still works but the noise is annoying the hell out of me can they be repaired ?..........
Hi Raw, they can be repaired if your any good at doing your own repairs. The grumbling noise is coming from the bearing on the motor as it is starting to fail and just needs to be changed.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
T30 Heater Fan Motor Bearing Repair.

The bearing part No's is:689-zz and there are two to change on the motor one at either end.
There is a seller on ebay selling them in link below.
The info that I had on this repair was from a Russian XT owner who had his own blog, but has now disappeared he must of closed it down or it was taken down, I first viewed the blog back in 2009 and it was still up and running back in Feb 2011. :frown:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/689-ZZ-9X17X5 ... 439da0c792

·
Registered
5 Posts
the fan on my xt`s heater has started rattling on low speeds it is fine at high speed can anyone tell me is this comon ? and is there an easy fix ? also I am getting quite a lot of condensation is this due to the cabin filter ?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
no idea really, but sound like it may be a bearing or something similar... knowing Nissan its probably a completely sealed unit? :roll:

I am sure Creationracing or Umbongo will be along with a definative answer shortly. :thumbs:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Repair Section ==How To's.

If you're getting loads of condensation(mind you I bet many of us are with the present weather)well worth checking/changing the cabin filter.I think they're about £30 from the stealers but £10 on fleabay.

Search on here should direct you to a seller as I'm sure Umbongo put an address up.

Sorry can't give you better directions,useless at puters. :bigcry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the usual rattle on cornering from my fan motor last week followed by a total death. Took full blower system out to find the resistor was u/s and when I tried the fan on its own with 12v power supply it was whining and screeching so I ordered the bearings mentioned earlier on this topic. When I showed the fan motor to an engineer mate of mine he told me that what is fitted to my motor were brass oilite bushes and not bearings. The cure is quite simple just apply a small amount of oil directly to the bushes at either end, this then soaks into the bushes over a small amount of time and then the motor runs quietly. Apparently this bush system is used quite a lot by the Japanese. Reinstalled motor and repaired resistor everything is now hunky-dory and quiet. :biggrin: :thumbs:
Sorry Umbongo forgot to take pic's
2004 xtrail sport 2.2dci 4x4

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.