Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up as I should be collecting my 2006 Aventura with just 3k miles on her in a couple of weeks :D

I've sold my Nissan 350z, so its going to be a bit of a culture shock, but the X-Trail seems to be a very capable, well spec'd, value for money vehicle.

Looking forward to picking up the car and getting involved with the community :cool:

First upgrade, will be the head unit for an MP3/iPod compatible one. I've read some of the other forums who mention the required adapters to retain the sat nav and steering controls, but I'm getting conflicting reports. Can anyone clarify?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Aventura said:
First upgrade, will be the head unit for an MP3/iPod compatible one. I've read some of the other forums who mention the required adapters to retain the sat nav and steering controls, but I'm getting conflicting reports. Can anyone clarify?
Hi there and welcome.

The cars with Sat-Nav have a relay switch to the front right speaker for the voice. As long as you use a Nissan to ISO adapter for the headunit you should be fine, as the Sat-Nav relay unit is located under the steering wheel. It's only when you want to change speakers or speaker wiring (you shouldn't really need the latter) that you run into trouble. There is also a connector on the stock headunit that interfaces with the steering wheel control. This is just three wires that vary a current provided by the headunit by use of resistors inside the switches on the wheel. Some headunits will be able to use the system and others may need an adapter to change the control voltages. Detailed information on this is limited and there are adapters available for most units at a price! My advice is research well before you choose your aftermarket unit. I've got a clever little box that converts the voltages from the steering switch into infra red and can control any head unit that comes with an IR remote - see my post in the T30 ICE section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

Sulphur man said:
The cars with Sat-Nav have a relay switch to the front right speaker for the voice. As long as you use a Nissan to ISO adapter for the headunit you should be fine, as the Sat-Nav relay unit is located under the steering wheel. It's only when you want to change speakers or speaker wiring (you shouldn't really need the latter) that you run into trouble.
Thats good, I assume then that the sat nav doesn't rely on amplification from the headunit; it has its own volume control?

Sulphur man said:
There is also a connector on the stock headunit that interfaces with the steering wheel control. This is just three wires that vary a current provided by the headunit by use of resistors inside the switches on the wheel. Some headunits will be able to use the system and others may need an adapter to change the control voltages.
It will alomst certainly be an Alpine unit, so hopefully this should be possible.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Aventura said:
Thats good, I assume then that the sat nav doesn't rely on amplification from the headunit; it has its own volume control?
It has its own volume, but it's not loud enough sometimes! I've often thought it would be fairly easy to connect it to a phone input on a headunit, and let the headunit do the muting and amplifying. I'll see if I can remember to put a meter on the output next time I'm under there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking the same thing. If you manage to check please let me know, otherwise when I get the car I'll test it and report back .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts