Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I currently own a mondeo diesel very good, 45 average mpg & before that a Freelander 1.8 very good in the snow & ice but very poor economy. Ive been wanting a car that combines the best of both & Ive come accross the X Trail. Ive some questions & would like it from the horses mouth.
Is the average mpg 39 for the 2.2 dci.
How many miles do you get from a full tank.
Does it have a heated windscreen.
Is the turbo & intercooler a weakness most bad review mention this.
Can you switch between 2 & 4WD.
Is the best engine the 2.2 dci
Does yours have a 6 speed gearbox

Thanks

Tess

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Tess,

39 mpg is a reasonable mpg expectation;

fuel tank capacity is 13.25 gallons, so expect appx 500 miles per tank, although safer to fill at 350 - 400;

yes , has heated rear screen;

the turbo and intercooler on mine are ok, touch wood, but it's very important to let the engine tick over for 60 seconds or so especially after a fast drive which will allow the turbo to "simmer down" and reduce the chance of the bearings overheating and roasting their lubricant which can lead to premature turbo failure;

yes, you can select 2WD or 4WD or automatic via a switch on the dashboard;

can't comment on whether the 2.2 is the best engine - mine is strong and powerful enough to tow a 1600 kg caravan with ease;

yes, 6 speed gearbox.

Hope this is helpful.

Best regards

David in Suffolk

·
Registered
34 Posts
that was going to be one of my questions.

how many miles on a tank of diesel.

at the moment i am managing about 300. i am in four wheel drive and towing quite a bit at rhe moment. also car left running for 20 minutes before i drive anywhere so i can defrost the inside. and just local driving so 10 miles here and there no motorway driving yet

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just to clarify the X-Trail does not have a heated front windscreen, I beleive only Ford have the patent on this.

I have the 2.2 dCi and average around 400 miles per tank, but you can allow +/- 50 miles depending on driving conditions, I have had no problems with the turbo but do tend to take care of it!

You'll also find the X has a lot more room in the boot than the Freelander, and with the rear seat squabs removed and backrest folded flat you'll have a huge flat floor estate of comparable length to the Mondeo.

G

·
StevieJ said:
Just to clarify the X-Trail does not have a heated front windscreen, I beleive only Ford have the patent on this.

I have the 2.2 dCi and average around 400 miles per tank, but you can allow +/- 50 miles depending on driving conditions, I have had no problems with the turbo but do tend to take care of it!

You'll also find the X has a lot more room in the boot than the Freelander, and with the rear seat squabs removed and backrest folded flat you'll have a huge flat floor estate of comparable length to the Mondeo.
My SEAT Alhambra had a heated front windscreen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Again
Ive just been to see a silver 2.2 dci SE 07 plate. Does the Xtrail have a clock on the dashboard, also what about an external temperature display.

Thanks

Tess

·
Registered
485 Posts
hi all,
I get 400+ miles to a tank mixed motoring but mostly steady 70/75 on the motorway,
read a lot on the turbo situation and might be wrong but think i read somewhere that earlier turbo's were adjustable and that later models (and later replacements) have gone back to a fixed model. either way i have no complaints about mine do tend to let it idle and cool down especially when i pull off at motorway service stations when the turbo hasnt had the benifit of some slower running to cool down.
bought my xt to tow a trailer but didnt want to sacrifice mpg happy on both counts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Right. Ford invented the heated windscreen in late 90ties. There are hear-thin wires all through the windshield. Works fantastic, not any problem (I had a Focus)

But, now the wife has a Citroen C4 coupe, and there is a very nice system in it. There is a switch that says Front window heater. A blower (apart from the other blower!) goes full ahead and somewhere in the dash there is a heated wire or something. Just 20 seconds and the glass is clear!! Never seen this before, but it works super.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.