Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this isnt a massive issue, but there is a high pitched whistle/beep noise which eminates from the bonet after a hard, or long drive.

I have an 08 XTrail Sport, and its done it ever since I owned it.

Ive opened the bonet and seem to have tracked the noise down to either the altenator, or the silver pipes just to the left of the engine, which I assume is air-con related.

The noise is almost mechanical, as it suddenly just stops after about 5 minutes of the car been stood with engine off. Its one long continous noise.

Any ideas? I'm well confused! :confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im glad its not just me!

I have tried many times to locate the source of the noise, but each time I think im getting close I decide its coming from a different place!

Its very exact though which makes me think its a deliberate noise - theres a deffinate "end" to it - it just stops rather than slowly dying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same has always happened on my 09' model 2.0 DCI sport. Seems to be from the pipework on top left of the engine.
Glad Ime not alone, have assumed it is pressure equalising in AirCon system after stopping.
Getting older helps as you loose hearing the higher sounds. My daughter tells me it sounds really loud so perhaps I should get ear plugs ready for any future grandchildren.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I believe that there ia a small electric water pump that passes water though the water cooling of the turbo for a short time after shut down. Its been refered to in the past on this forum. I can hear it on mine but it is not very loud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just bought a 05 plate 2.2DCI SE and has this noise as well , does anyone know if it's a serious problem that needs addresed , it's more annoying than anything else.

But what a car i love it..

·
Registered
210 Posts
i dont think our older style has a water cooled turbo, mine doesnt make any noise after being switched off. are you sure it isnt the dreaded turbo whistle?

Remember smudge325 to post in the correct part the older style is the T30

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.