Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a great trip from Ambleside over the Wrynose & Hardknott passes. It was so much fun that after a brew in Eskdale we turned round & did it again! The performance was so much better in the X-Trail than the last two times I did it in an L200 & a Discovery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi there

Do you have any further information on this? where it is etc?

im always up for taking the x trail off roading, check out the off roading thread i started.

Upload some pictures if you can

Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
evannorfolk said:
hi there

im always up for taking the x trail off roading, check out the off roading thread i started.

Upload some pictures if you can

Thanks
This is in the Lake District. The road is an adventure itself, but the moor is too wet, muddy & boggy to get off road.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
evannorfolk said:
Look HERE and HERE.

Hardknott Pass, and then Wrynose Pass in the Lake District, is a single track road right through the middle of the Lake District, and is very steep and twisting, but great fun.

The Hardknott Pass vies with Rosedale Chimney in North Yorkshire for the title of steepest road in England, with both achieving a gradient of 1 in 3 (about 33%).

I drove it many years ago and am looking forward to taking the X-Trail up tere.

John

·
Registered
84 Posts
Been up and down it many times over the years.

If you go in the summer months go early morning when you can have a fast run at it (it adds to the excitement)

Later in the day you'll just be part of a queue waiting to do the next bit.

Xacre

·
Registered
37 Posts
does anyone know the rules for staying there overnight? I.E sleeping in the car etc?

Coz i will put a mattress in the back and just sleep on that to save on hotels etc

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also does anyone know of the offroading rules around there?

I.E are the bridle ways that normal cars cant cope with etc and 4x4's can?

Looking for a good weekend up there if any other x trails wanna join, mid February time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hopefully they will re-open in in febuary, Does anyone know the rules around there about camping etc?

I know places look the new forest say your not allowed to etc

Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a camp site at Eskdale with a brew pub next door. Very good facilities. Nowhere realy suitable to camp on the moors.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With regards to sleeping in the vehicle I don't know about the camp site (will look for web site) but there is a parking area right up on the top where I assume you could sleep. It will be rather chilly though !!! Watch out for copious amounts of condensation. It is on the left coming from Ambleside. There is a much smaller area by the remains of the Roman fort.

For off road playing, check http://www.kankku.co.uk

Camp site is just past "The Woolpack Inn" at Boot, Eskdale on left coming from Whitehaven. Easily found on Google !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts