Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got a 2006 Aventura 2.5 auto and when I've been driving either up or doen steep hills I get a really hot smell, (not me -the car) I've checked and smell seems to be coming from behind the engine near manifold, not the rad. Smells slightly of hot oil (oil change was done in November and level is as should be) Not sure if this could be gearbox overheating or engine? Never get the smell on long motorway journeys and even in town driving it seems fine. My fan doesn't come on and the temp gauge is reading normal so a bit confused. I have heard that the rad should be flushed out as they can get clogged up (car's done 27K) but would have thought this would send the temp gauge up if this was the case? If it is blocked I guess it could be restriting water to the block but thought the fan would cut in? Has anyone fitted an oil cooler or think it would be a good idea - likewise, oil temp gauge? Does anyone have any ideas or have had similar problem? Will be taking it to local grage but would be good to have an idea before hand. Best regards to all.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Just a thought, it could be that when they serviced your vehicle they spilt some oil and it's lodged in the engine bay, so when you're going up and down hills it's dripping on exhaust.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Umbongo - again! Will get a rag and clean off the manifold plus surrounding area - could well be the problem and only wish I had thought of it. Cheers

·
Registered
186 Posts
hi when i pull the carvan oil sometimes comes out of the dip stick increased back perssure on the engine,it is not a lot more of a spray it hits the manifold and thus the smell. fit a better o ring seal on the dip stick.... :biggrin: regards mark forgot to say mines a 2.5 converted to lpg...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Mark - sorry for delay in responding. Have had a chat with the mechanic at my local garage and he said as it could be rain water that's collected in the scuttle plate below windscreen and when I go down hill it pours out and onto the manifold - the smell of hot oil is really the smell of steam cleaning! Have checked the scuttle for blockages/leaks but will keep an eye on this - could be something as simple as this? Will have a look at the dip stick seal so thanks for the tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.