Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2004 2.2dci xtrail. Usually starts first time except when the engine is hot but this problem is intermittent. Sometimes it starts straight away and then others it can take anything between 2-6 turns of the key.
It appears that it may be a common problem but has anyone cured this. It's got to the point of keeping the engine running wherever I can.
Today I ran the car for about 20 mins, turned off engine while I picked up my mother in law plus baggage. I expected it to be awkward to start but it fired straight away.
Left the car for 10 mins on the drive and it took five cranking sessions to start again. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello Malinois,

Sorry for this late response, I think I would check the fuel system...

When was the fuel filter last changed? Members say Nissan fuel filters are best, although I used Mann Filters from Eurocarparts and have not had a problem - I changed mine every year (also oil and filter every six months). For a starting point does the pump primer feel firm if you try pumping it?

Other Members have traced the issue to the Suction Control Valve (SCV) on the fuel pump. If you put SCV into the search facility you should come up with a few threads which may help. Also there are details of a fuel pump relearn which may give you another option.

My best guess is the fuel filter. Although you may also benefit from using BP Ultimate fuel - I used this all the time after being advised, on the Forum, of the benefits and cleaning properties of this fuel. A more expensive fuel - but better in the long run.

Until you find a permanent solution... :-? When I had problems, - before I regularly changed the fuel filter, I found something that worked for me.... :thumbs: If the warm engine did not fire up straight away - first time - keep the ignition key turned for a few seconds - until you hear the engine revs stabilise... Your natural instinct is to release the key as soon as it fires. I found the engine could then stall. Holding the key for a few seconds seemed to help. :thumbs:

I hope this explanation is clear and you are soon sorted :thumbs: Kind regards, John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the reply. I've done a bit of searching on the net and another suggestion is the cam and crank position sensors. It seems quite intermittent so maybe electrical.
Don't know when the fuel filter was last replaced so probably needs a new one. Looks a bit of a pain to do but I'm sure I could manage it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello Malinois,

I felt like that when I first changed the fuel filter... After you have done it a couple of times you realise it's not such a big job.

This "How to" should help you and I believe the filters changed in about 2004 - so you need to be sure which one you have... :thumbs:
https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3716

My advice would be to check the simple things first, and if you do not know when the fuel filter was last changed it is a good place to start. Try some of the BP Ultimate :thumbs: . Also, when you do your next service try some BG244 from Powerenhancer - quite a few Members use this to help on fuel issues... :thumbs:
https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/bg-244- ... -only.html

I am sure some of our more technically minded Members will be along shortly to add their views. In the meantime when the engine is hot - try the longer crank I referred to earlier - it may help until you have a permanent solution. :thumbs:

Kind regards, John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've changed a couple of diesel filters before, wife's vw beetle tdi and years ago I had a defender which was easy. Both fired up immediately afterwards just hope the x trail will also.
I was looking at euro parts and there does seem to be two filters for my year so I'll have a look before I buy.
Thanks for your input, very much appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well today I bit the bullet and changed my fuel filter. Much easier than I thought it would be. While I had the airbox off I sprayed the maf sensor with carb cleaner. Car started instantly and appears to be running a lot smoother. The filter I removed was a unipart item that looked like it had been on a long time. I replaced it with a mann filter from euro.
Whether this has cured or improved the hot start problem I don't know. I shall report back in due course.
Regards Andy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for info, the hot start problem is still there. Found this out after popping into Europarts to get rear pads for my mates x trail. 15 minutes in there and car took 4 turns on the key to splutter into life. Boo and hiss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts