Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm prompted by a similar thread in the T30 section. My T31 is just 2 years old so I still have the comfort of another years warrenty, but the turbo does make a slight whistle and I also get a very small (thimble full) of oil in the air filter housing moulding just on the inside of the air filter (engine side). I mentioned this at a recent service and they didn't seem bothered, but then its not their car.
In a Land Rover mag. on turbos they said that some oil and whistle is normal (on a Land rover that is)
Any comments?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I don't know about oil in the air filter box cos I never looked but I do know that just after my last service (for some reason :?: ) my turbo whistles a lot more and I didn't notice it before.
My car has around 19700miles on it, I know its an 05 but I don't drive a lot.
Maybe when your car hits a certain mileage something kicks in, after a run in stage or sommit, I don't know?
Your probably like me worried the turbo is for blowing, I didn't take it anywhere to get it checked out though :roll: .
Maybe someone else knows.

Mines a t30 of course so may mean nothing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any comments from T31 owners out there? I did notice this afternoon that stationary on the drive playing with the throttle I can make the whistle come and go around 1800 rpm. Its not loud. Perhaps I am getting my pre long holiday / long distance - worries. Unfortunately my nearest dealer is a 50 mile round trip away otherwise I would simply get them to listen.
I have read on other non Nissan forums that some whistle is normal, event to be enjoyed! perhaps XTrail owners are it bit more nervous after the T30 repetition
I have stacks of power all the way up to the red line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well to quote a song (ish) it started with a whistle. My 173bhp sport ex. has just been diagnosed has having a faulty Turbo and it has to be replaced, 27,000 miles. 2007 new shape.
Turbo £1150 labour £274.
Now the ? good news I'm 3wks out of Manufacturers warranty and Nissan have agreed to supply the Turbo at no cost but I have to pay the Labour. I took an extended warranty out 3 weeks ago with Warrenty direct and they have agreed to stump up for the labour...

:)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My whisle is audible but not loud when the engine is cold, and generally in-audiable once the engine has started to warm up, How does this compare with yours please?
I've still got 6 months warrenty left and a service arround January time when I will ask the dealer to comment, but all info welcome. Mine has now done 25k miles
If you don't mine me asking, how much was the Warrenty Direct? I gather the nissan price has gone up alarmingly.
It is going to be very sad if T31s start having the same problem with turbos as the T30, as in all other respects I really like the car. I've even come to accept the DFP light coming on it seems 12k mile intervals but I have always been in the position to give it a blast when it has come on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Chris, like you I really like my motor. The whistle on mine was evident more when you touched the accelerator. I got a deal on the warranty. I got luxury care with catt, emissions and airbag cover. They also wavered the 90 day exclusion for wear and tear due to the 3 yr vehicle warranty just running out and the fact I had just had It serviced and Mot. 310 pounds. Fortunately I haven't had any probs with the Dpf probably due to the fact I'm up the motorway heading for the lakes at least once a month. Oh nearly forgot also got 13 mths cover for the price of 12 .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.....I have just traded my 2007 T31 173bhp Xtrail in for a BMW. The Xtrail had done 38,000 miles and had three weeks warranty left on it when I started to hear a slight rattling noise on the overrun (when backing off the gas to slow down or change gear). Nissan said this was OK, but then the engine light came on and it was a low pressure in the turbo.

Nissan changed the sensor in the turbo and the light went out.....HOWEVER check out the Australian Xtrail owners forum and this has been a massive problem over there. Basically I too found the engine oil on the air filter and the problem goes like this - the oil separator is not functioning correctly and so oil from the crankcase ventilation is getting into the air induction system. This means that the turbo, the EGR valve, the intercooler are all contaminated with engine oil (hence the evidence on the air filter)....the effect being that the air going into the turbo is not cooled enough (intercooler radiator clogged with oil) add this to the fact that the turbo is too clogged with oil and the turbo bearings get too hot and eventually fail (this was my rattling sound).

I was not prepared to have the turbo failure when the car was out of warranty and so I got rid with three weeks warranty left (approx 6 weeks ago)....a real shame as the car itself was fantastic and I am missing it now the snow has come.

NISSAN get a grip and acknowledge the fault and deal with it.

Thanks - Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
My T31 08 plate turbo doesn't make any noise under acceleration, however once the engine has warmed up a bit and I'm stationary I can hear it whistle, but no one else can? It continues like this until about 5 minutes after I turn off the Engine.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd be very surprised if it's still your turbo whistling 5 minutes after turning off your engine! :shock:

I do notice a sound like some kind of electrical motor/fan/compressor running under our bonnet, after turn off - but fairly sure it ain't the turbo... :smile:

Aitch

·
Registered
89 Posts
JonP said:
My T31 08 plate turbo doesn't make any noise under acceleration, however once the engine has warmed up a bit and I'm stationary I can hear it whistle, but no one else can? It continues like this until about 5 minutes after I turn off the Engine.
Hmm maybe not then. I thought that (from my limited understanding of mechanics) turbo's had to 'cool' or some such? I can hear a noise like a very high pitched quite quiet whilstle, which I assumed was the Turbo? Im happy to be corrected! :bow:

·
Registered
646 Posts
JonP said:
JonP said:
Hmm maybe not then. I thought that (from my limited understanding of mechanics) turbo's had to 'cool' or some such? I can hear a noise like a very high pitched quite quiet whilstle, which I assumed was the Turbo? Im happy to be corrected! :bow:
You are quite correct in that, after rapid / hard driving, a turbo should always be allowed to 'spool down', but this would typically be done whilst the engine was still on, and the turbo being lubricated - the oil only lubricates the turbo whilst the engine is running...but it wouldn't have the momentum (the turbo) to rotate for 5 mins.

I do know the sound to which you refer...a fairly quiet constant tone? - and I'm pretty sure that it's something electrical in nature... :mrgreen:

Aitch

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand that there is a small electrical water pump to take away heat from the turbo once you have switched off. I get the same very faint noise for a few minutes.
Even so, I always let the engine idle for at least 30 sec after coming to a halt after a fast run. i.e. if I have been doing more than about 1800rpm the turbo will be hot and needs a cool down with lubricating oil circulating through it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
chrisuk said:
I understand that there is a small electrical water pump to take away heat from the turbo once you have switched off. I get the same very faint noise for a few minutes.
Super - thanks - mystery solved! :cool:

Aitch

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
You can specify the location of a sound easy by holding a screw-driver against your eardrum and the other end on (for instance) the turbo house or water-pump, etc. During turning a slight whistle is perfectly normal, a lost of oil in any way is not normal. Sweaty bearings? Also a sudden change in sound is not normal

Warranty: In Holland we have 3 year warranty on a Nissan. The Law says: you have guaranty on the lifetime of things. Which means: Normally a wheel bearing should last at least 150.000 km. After 40.000 km but after 6 years it brakes. You pay only 40% of the bill. How they do this in the UK? :eek:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wimbo said:
How they do this in the UK? :eek:
A: Worse. Very often, outside a published warranty (2/3 years is normal for most new vehicles, still) suppliers will drag their feet, or simply shrug and suggest that you take them to court. :frown:

Aitch

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 54 reg XT had a whistle from the day I bought it to the day I sold it, 47k miles on the clock! It had the turbo changed under warranty and still whistled. When the car had run a while it tended to disappear. IMO it's just a charecteristic of the set-up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.