Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I tow a one and a half tonne 20' twin wheel caravan with noooo probs! (its actually 23' from tip to tip) ... I took it down to Devon last August and kept forgetting it was on the back ... lets just say i kept getting carried away :oops: al leave it at that lol :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tow a twin axle caravan 1600 kg; my 2005 2.2 dci tows it very well, powerful and easy cruising, 22 - 26 mpg. Having said that, there is matter of concern: when reversing the outfit I have to be very careful should, say, a reverse up a gradient or a tight reverse manoeuvre be required; the reverse gear ratio is quite high and clutch slipping with higher revs than I like is necessary, which has resulted in a smell of burning clutch. I understand this is a problem with the x trail which could have been avoided by the provision of a high/low ratio on reverse gear. Best regards to all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
transporter said:
I tow a twin axle caravan 1600 kg; my 2005 2.2 dci tows it very well, powerful and easy cruising, 22 - 26 mpg. Having said that, there is matter of concern: when reversing the outfit I have to be very careful should, say, a reverse up a gradient or a tight reverse manoeuvre be required; the reverse gear ratio is quite high and clutch slipping with higher revs than I like is necessary, which has resulted in a smell of burning clutch. I understand this is a problem with the x trail which could have been avoided by the provision of a high/low ratio on reverse gear. Best regards to all.
i have the same problem. the smell reminds me of rotting cabbage.

i tow a trailer and the only thing that annoys me is the 6th gear cruise up a slight hill the car struggles so i have to kick it down into 5th

·
Registered
11 Posts
i tow with mine a 24 foot hymer living comes in at 1525 kgs fully loaded as the rest have said you dont know you have got on the back also tow a horse box that comes in at 1750 kgs fully loaded rgds

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi I tow a caravan, used to have a terrano and it knocks the spots off that. I agree that the reverse gear is a bit high, so had a motor mover fitted sorted. Has the rest have said you hardly know its on the back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I sometimes tow a twin axle Indespension box trailer, about the size of a horse box. The Xtrail handles it really well, you don't notice it outside 6th gear except the ride quality because of the pendulum effect; you need the comfy seats and in my case, a back belt, but that's not the fault of the car. I used to easily get it up to 70 on the downhill with my 04 DCi SVE but it's a bit like towing a parachute because of the wind resistance. I'm sure my current Xtrail would handle it better though, as the tuning box takes it theoretically to 166 bhp and 371 torque.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I haven't posted for a while but always interested to see members comments.
I Bought an Abbey caravan last year 1125kg, easy for the Xtrail. Only managed to use it once so far but hope to get more use out of it very soon.
I fitted my own tow bar and twin electrics using Tow Sure parts last summer. (See my previous posts to see what was done).
I'm impressed with the cars towing ability but need to give her a longer run to really get to know its towing characteristics.
The car is booked in for its 2nd service this week at local Nissan dealers £278 ouch!
All the Best
Jack

·
Registered
52 Posts
Found some of these comments encouraging. I'm new to the forum and have just bought my first X trail.Ive got a Abbey Freestyle 540. 1345kg min weight. I'm actually a Ford Galaxy convert as well, Cant wait to get out and give it a go towing..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have got a small trailer that i tow (mainly for dump runs as it needs some sprucing up). Trailer tent in the garden needs refurbing as well. Car is fitted with a ball and pin hitch in case i need to attach a tow strop when out on 4x4 response work.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The only thing i tow is my daughters ifor williams double axle horse box. Same issues with reversing. Though the only time i tend to reverse it is when im putting it back in the yard and i do that once the horses are out. Gross weight of 1600kgs length 4.5 meters and width 1.7 meters (or there abouts)
No problems towing it with 2 horses in. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have a hanger, made out of a Travel Sleeper/Alpenkreuzer. A nice little hanger with in-depended coil springs (You do not feel it behind the car and it don't jumps) and shock absorbers, a brake installation, incl. hand-brake and even a spare-wheel... I can load 700 kgs in it and I do it often with also less load of course. I made a rack at the front, so I can move long beams too. Bought the thing for only 100 €, many years ago. I had fun with it for 1000 €....
Also made a bike-rack at front, so I can easy move bikes as well (3x) Nice item is the 4 legs under all corners. You just turn them out (Like a jack) No key means: one cannot steal it :whistle: See me as a happy owner.... :thumbs:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I tow an Abbey 320/4 caravan max weight 1353kg, have a 2012 t31 Tekna, manual, and it pulls it no problem. Also get around 34mpg ( a bit better than the 23mpg I used to get with my Audi A6! )
Interesting to hear about the burning clutches when reversing as I have experienced this as well when reversing/manoeuvring uphill, or when reversing a long distance when constantly having to slip the clutch.
However, this is by far the best car I have ever owned, love it and still smile every time I drive it! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I tow a 2-axle, 2-ton flat bed trailer. I've had a small car on there, so probably a good 1.5 tons. I've also put at least 1 ton of firewood in it. Trailer weighs half a ton, so a fairly big all-up weight. I also tow a (much smaller) boat. As everyone else has said, towing forwards is superb - best tow car we've ever had. The "old skool" torquey 2.2 diesel really makes it. HOWEVER, I do also agree that I'd like a lower reverse AND FIRST gear. Pulling a boat up a slipway is hard on the clutch.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Once helped a friend with towing a quite big hanger (4 wheels and - I guess - 5,6 meters long (without triangle) and a hood. He had to move house. I must say, on a flat road and fully loaded, all went well. Just a bit (!) slower as normal. Hmmmm... I adjust. (I have a 2.0 ltr. Petrol) We drove 90, 100 km/h. But... we had to drive a bit uphill. Therefore I must gear down till 3th. The hanger and the car were fully loaded. The hanger weight a bit more than 1500 kilo's I guess.... To be honest it was a bit too much, but I was happy with the great torque of the engine. But he did not have a tow-hook and I had. Glad I helped him out. The driving it self as in stability and wind, were excellent!
But in a few years we move to Germany and I think I rent the same hanger. To Germany is not too much uphill. But a few more horses should be handy... :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.