Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2006 X-Trail. It came with a original Nissan radio-CD player. I want to build in a steering wheel control. How? Is it wired, wireless? Price? I want to do it myself.
Question 2: In the glove compartment before the driver, is a 12 Volt cigarette lighter-plug. In this compartment, I build my TomTom navigation (Fits like a glove...) Unfortunately the power ends when I remove the ignition key. So the battery loading stops. How to get constant power on this plug? Same for the plug under in the dash, near the ashtray. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
210 Posts
the steering wheel controls can be used if you fit an adapter that is for both headunit and car ( which can be got in halfords or other car audio shops ). has for the cig lighters being constantly on i would advise against this but it the fuse box you would disconnect the acc live and find a permanant live but risk running the battery down

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Revhead Kev said:
Why would you want the navigation live when the ignition is off and you are not in the car ?
Unless it drives itself and gets lost occasionally :lol:
As mentioned you run the risk of your battery going flat if you do.
Sorry, but you're both wrong there. My TomTom is a stand alone unit (Portable) and it needs batterypower to load his own batteries. And therefore I want constant power on it, to prevent for an empty TomTom battery... Get it? (It unloads in 2,3 days) :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Wimbo

Have you fitted your Tom Tom permanently into the car - in other words, it gets left in there all the time? If so, everytime you start your car it would automatically be charging anyway - as long as you drive your car within 3 days anyway?

I have a Garmin sat nav that I use now and again (when the main sat nav can't find where I want to go) and I just plug it into the socket when needed - seems to be OK?

Let us know if we are maybe not understanding your needs properly.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Vandy, i have an i pod connection in my audi, when or if i leave the i pod in the car it will keep charging itself until the i pod battery is fully charged,
i think Wimbo is after the same ,but obvoiusly his tom tom, when it is fullycharged it will not drain the battery, hence a permanant live for the device

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
In my last car I hard wired my Garmin cradle but had it on a seperate switch as well - that way I only had to slip on the sat nav as the permanently live cradle was on fitted on the dashboard (hidden away behind a panel I made) Take your point about only using power until charged and assume Wimbo is leaving his Tom Tom in the car all the time - would be nice to be able to have thas sort of honesty in this country - would last about 30 seconds if you left it in the car in UK! He could change it to a permanent live socket or hard wire it (with a fuse).

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vandy said:
In my last car I hard wired my Garmin cradle but had it on a seperate switch as well - that way I only had to slip on the sat nav as the permanently live cradle was on fitted on the dashboard (hidden away behind a panel I made) Take your point about only using power until charged and assume Wimbo is leaving his Tom Tom in the car all the time - would be nice to be able to have thas sort of honesty in this country - would last about 30 seconds if you left it in the car in UK! He could change it to a permanent live socket or hard wire it (with a fuse).
Your last option: I thought of this myself. We are honest people in Maartensdijk. Anyway, you're not able to see it when the car is asleep (so to speak) 'cause it's in the dasboardcase before the driver (The one with the lit)
Worse should be to stick it on the windscreen where you see a big circel on it, when you take it of (And hide it under the seat...) So: no one can see it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.