Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you all. Vandy gave me the advice to tell you all about my self made armrest for a T-30 X-Trail. Well, here it is. Keep in mind, that the tunnel box will come in different shapes! Mine is standard (Low shape) the deluxe has a higher box at the end.

You need: MDF wood ply, saw (Wood and metal) water resistant wood-glue, wood-clamps, Powerfile (Can do it by hand, lot of work) screws, bolt, paint, sandpaper, Workmate, drill, double sided tape (Or silicone kit) and (lots of) patience and a keen eye,

I glued 2 times three 18 mm plies of MDF on each other with water resistant wood glue. One in the shape of the second candy-box, behind the handbrake. The other one, for the vertical stand, where the armrest will come on top. Make it a bit bigger, so you can sand it in the shape you need (I use a Black-and-Decker Powerfile) Be sure to do this very precisely! If you do it well, the foot of the stand will get in and hold itself (To be sure, I fit it extra wit double sided tape) (See photo)

Well, let's go on. You have two, thick pieces of MDF now. Look at the photo how I made the armrest fit, by making the MDF vertical piece smaller at the top.
The armrest itself you must buy somewhere at Hallfords or so. I bought it here: http://www.maxicartuning.nl/maxicartuning.nl/shop/. Cost: 19.95 € not incl. sending (Keep in mind, that the original rest cost you 165 €, plus VAT…)

Then you must stick the two pieces together, see photo. I used three 6 cm long, stainless steel woodscrews and glue, clamp them together well in an 90 degrees angel (Drill a hole, half size (Thickness) the screws)
Put the rest on top when the glue is dried- and the wood in shape. Remove more wood if necessary. Then, drill the hole where the armrest will turn (Open/close) Stick a 6, 7, 8 cm long (6 mm thick) stainless steel bolt through the side plate, the wood and the other side plate. Use a self locking nut and screw it on, that tight, that the armrest can turn free.
Make all the adjustments, remove all parts, sand all the wood, paint it black (Hey, the Stones!!!) I used metallic black Hammerite.
Craftsman tip: Measure, measure, measure… Try to make it fit like a glove.

Note: The height of the rest is a personal thing. Even so where it will be placed: a bit more forward or backwards. You must try before you place it permanently. I made id so, that I can tare it apart and put it an inch higher and lower by drilling more than one hole.

Good luck if you'll give it a try!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vandy said:
Glad you re-posted it as now we can all see it. Again I must say - very neat MDF work Wimbo - nice one.
Yeah, thanks, I'a good craftsman if I may say so... (Re)decorating my house: piece of cake. Painting? Same. Plumbing? Yep. Electricity? No problem. Like it!!
See the table on the pictures? Made it myself. Lamps? Too. You name it; I'll do it.
Occupation? All the things that has to do with safety (Alarm systems, fire prevention, CCTV etc.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.