Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone !

Treated myself yesterday to a manual 08 xtrail Aventura Explorer to go alongside our 61 Tekna, bit addictive xtrails..... Anyway, the ignition on the 08 has a very small 'push' button at the side of it, this apparently has something to do with using the mechanical key, and has been 'accidentally pushed' :oops:

The issue I have is this, at the moment you can't use the keyless ignition.

If you put the mechanical key in, it pops the 'push' button back out, but you can't remove the key unless you push the button back in, which in turn means you can't use the keyless ignition, it just won't turn, so I'm a bit stuck..... Car still works with the key fine, doors work fine keyless.... Tried pressing brake etc..... Confused......Any ideas anyone ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've an 08, agree with John as to how it works, with foot on the brake the outer key cover should just turn forward to start. The button is pushed to return the ignition to the off position...
Maybe its a problem with the foot brake sensor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to sort it finally, thanks for your response John, bit of a strange one, I agree with what you say and that is what should happen lol, in my case it didn't, if the key was in and turned to the lock position you could remove the key but only if the push button was in, you put the cover back on and tried to turn the ignition keyless, it wouldn't turn..... After a quick chat with local Nissan dealer they advised that both clutch and brake need to be pushed down simultaneously then this then reactivates the intelligent key apparently, resets the push button and allows you to turn the ignition keyless, hope this helps anyone else out there :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Managed to sort it finally, thanks for your response John, bit of a strange one, I agree with what you say and that is what should happen lol, in my case it didn't, if the key was in and turned to the lock position you could remove the key but only if the push button was in, you put the cover back on and tried to turn the ignition keyless, it wouldn't turn..... After a quick chat with local Nissan dealer they advised that both clutch and brake need to be pushed down simultaneously then this then reactivates the intelligent key apparently, resets the push button and allows you to turn the ignition keyless, hope this helps anyone else out there :)
thank you so much for putting this out there! I’ve been struggling for days with this!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Is this something that is only on the manual version? I have a 2008 Aventurer Explorer automatic, with key-less ignition, and I don't remember seeing any button. I just get in, put my foot on the brake, turn the switch and away it goes. I don't have to press any buttons. I did have a minor problem when I first bought it in that I could only get it to start using the key, but that turned out to be my fault. Not being used to the system I was not pressing the brake pedal firmly enough.

I have never had the cover for the ignition switch, when I bought the car it wasn't there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts