Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard a few horror stories re the volv 4x4 system not working and not been able to tell

can you tell on the xtrail, i saw one post but it was referring to the model with the button selector not the knob :roll:

for example if the selector is turned to 2wd should there be any dash lights on

or would there be any dash lights showing to indicate a fault and if so whats the likely problem and cost to fix?

thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
The four wheel drive most definately works. I live at the top of a very steep [1:3 in places] unsurface track. If I try to come up in 2 wheel dry, the car slips and slides badly. I always select 4 WD Lock and it walks up gently with no fuss.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Message to Ashcroft.

4WD lock should only be selected when the car is stationary by the way. You can go from 2WD to AUTO when moving but not into LOCK when you're either turning or when in reverse. Thought I'd just let you know as you're new to the car. LOCK does work really well but only at low speeds. I keep mine in AUTO all of the time and is good enough for most instances.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
ajtg1952 said:
Thank you Vandy, I will bear that in mind. I have noticed it is not happy when reversing and turning in 4 WD Lock. The Owners Manual is far from clear on this subject; or maybe it's just me.
As far as I know, the book is only telling us not to switch into LOCK when reversing/turning but I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference when turning/reversing? In a post by Umbongo it explains how the 4WD system works and it doesn't have a true diff lock, rather it acts more like ABS by applying brake pressure when needed.
In other words - haven't got a clue but thought I'd reply :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.